Author Topic: Terry Prattchet vs JK Rowling  (Read 8535 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Terry Prattchet vs JK Rowling
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:30 AM »
look. I'm not the biggest Rowling fan, but I like her stuff. Your claims are obviously very over-stated, reactionary, and poorly thought out.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 11:49:40 AM »
As someone who enjoys Rowling and hates Pratchett, I have to say that I disagree (though I have never read Wee Free Men, I admit). I'm a bit curious as to how you can say that arguably the most successful book series in the modern world is actually a piece of trash that nobody in their right mind would like. It's not perfect, and certainly not great literature, but they're very good stories that connect with the reader in a lot of ways. Do you honestly think that we're all stupid?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 09:33:12 PM »
Yes.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
I knew that already, I wasn't talking to you. And put on some freakin' pants already.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2005, 01:00:38 PM »
Prattchet is good, but has his flaws. JK Rowling can write well, but has very little originality. She kind of uses that, making it a easy level without having to resort to info-dumps. But if it was a case of which series I could read again for the first time, discworld wins every time.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2005, 03:53:59 AM »
My money's on Pratchett.
~금강산도 식후경~

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2005, 03:05:19 PM »
The magazine also said Rowling reinvented fantasy fiction, which was previously stuck in "an idealised, romanticised, pseudofeudal world, where knights and ladies morris-dance to Greensleeves".

I think BBC was quoting the magazine article, not Rowling. And I can see how she might not have thought Harry Potter was traditional fantasy, since it takes place in a modern setting, but Pratchett is right. The unicorns should have been a clue. :)

I just wish that I could read the original magazine article. Bad referencing!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:05:47 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2005, 03:23:19 PM »
Nevermind I found it. Webpage design confuses me. Can't you just put the references at the bottom, like print?

It wasn't until after Sorcerer's Stone was published that it even occurred to her that she had written one. "That's the honest truth," she says. "You know, the unicorns were in there. There was the castle, God knows. But I really had not thought that that's what I was doing. And I think maybe the reason that it didn't occur to me is that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy."

So, at least she can laugh at herself.

And the quote from BBC is Times words, not Rowlings.

So, anyway, yes I'm defending her, but from what I've read on her website, the attitude didn't quite seem hers. She comes across more as I expected in the Times article, and the author of the article is obviously a fan.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:24:04 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 03:37:45 PM »
I don't think awareness of genre is necessary to write a good piece. Though it certainly helps you do a marketable piece.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 04:22:25 PM »
And I do think that if she was aware of genre, she'd realize just how many witch school/boarding school/modern fairy tale/modern fantasy with magic thrown in books there are out there. Not exactly like hers, but enough out there that she ought to have at least recognized it as fantasy.

But that's back to the definition of fantasy, isn't it? A *lot* of people, not just JK Rowling, think that fantasy is just sword and sorcery high fantasy, when--especially in children's literature--it really takes in so much more than that.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 05:59:03 PM »
Aha! Here's JK's source, at last!

http://www.brightgirl.net/mishmash/hpsw.jpg

;)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2005, 12:13:21 AM »
;D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha that was great!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

bosssmiley

• Level 2
  • Concealed in custard
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2005, 07:03:36 AM »
Do you honestly think that we're all stupid?

Fellfrosch:
Absolutely not. I have no objection to the "Harry Potter" books if they are taken as what they are: undemanding, cozey kiddies' books in the "Jennings", "Billy Bunter" and "Worst Witch" school story tradition. What I object to strenuously are the commentators and the fans (who should know better in many cases) trying to make the HP books out as something more than that.

I just get sick of hearing how this woman has <sneery Foamy the Squirrel voice> "Singlehandedly re-invented children's fantasy"</foamy>. She hasn't _invented_ a thing, just mashed existing genre tropes up into a new and popular type of pabulum.

I'd draw an equivalence between Rowling and MacDonalds: both are the market leader in their field, but both are a triumph of hype over substance. Neither the "Harry Potter" series or the Big Mac can be described as nutritious, tasty or 'good for you' in comparison with some of the other stuff that's out there.

Sales =/= good book. They just = good marketing.

e:
obviously very over-stated, reactionary, and poorly thought out

Over-stated and poorly thought out I'll concede, this is an Internet forum after all, people shoot from the lip.
But reactionary? I can't really see from whence you inferred this. I'll concede, I'm a fan of Pratchett, but the fact I like the ways in which he re-invents and recycles fantasy/fairy tale cliches in a way that has some contemporary applicability hopefully doesn't make me a reactionary.
The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2005, 09:45:58 AM »
*sigh* we've had this argument before.

Let me give you some tips:

If you want friends, don't come on and make claims like this in your first dozen posts. ANd *never* make them so in your face.

People will disagree with you, and expressing weariness that most people disagree with you only alienates people further. You want to vent? Take it to the Rants forum. You want to have a discussion? Point out specific instances where Rowling fails.

Also, resurrecting an argument that was over more than 2 months ago is annoying.

Like I said, I'm not hte biggest Rowling fan, but I think she does a pretty good job. YOU don't have to like her, but comparing her to McDonald's is way off base. There's a lot more to get out of and think about with Rowling. People discuss for long periods where she's going with different characters or themes. She's pretty darn good at discussing the themes of the books completely and without being preachy. Yet she treats the characters realistically in their setting. On the whole, she's a pretty solid writer. Just because she's credited with re-creating a genre (which I agree, she didn't remotely do) doesn't mean that she's a terrible writer. The claims are over stated, but looking at the writing objectively shows a decent amount of skill.

So yeah, reactionary. Yes, I still think that. I think you have one or two pet-peeves about the way the media shows her, and because you disagree with that portrayal you want to translate that into a statement about how she's the opposite -- a terrible writer with good PR. I see you swinging the opposite way -- blaming the writer when you should be blaming the PR, and makign assertions that I don't think are very justifiable.

As for Pratchet, I've found him to be very funny. I giggle out loud frequently. But rarely, if ever, have I had occassion to think of his writing as anything other than funny. Maybe I've missed something, and you can give me some examples. (I've read only Hogfather and Jingo) But what I've read hasn't done a very good job of exploring the themes it brings up, the characters have been extremely static, and his style, other than word play, isn't exciting. It's very, very funny, and on that justification alone I can recommend him to people. But he's not where I'd call it brilliant.