Author Topic: Just how PC can we get?  (Read 2521 times)

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
Just how PC can we get?
« on: February 10, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »
According to this story Virginia's House of Delegates passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a "lewd or indecent manner.''
Now I think this is a ridiculous "fashion" as much as the next person, but really...a fine? If I stand out in the street in my boxers is that indecent exposure even though all the naughty bits are covered?
You don't hear anything about women's tops being too low cut or skirts too high.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Just how PC can we get?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 02:59:54 PM »
Yeah the bill isnt expected to pass the Va state senate though, since it would then make it illegal to wear a bathing suit at VA Beach which is VA's #3 Tourist hotspot...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 06:10:12 PM »
I wonder.  Does this mean that women can't wear mens boxers as shorts over their underwear, since, by definition, boxers are underwear?
Boogie woogie woogie!!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 06:11:36 PM »
Down with pants! Up with miniskirts!
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 06:14:47 PM »
Down with pants! Up with miniskirts!

Sounds like a line from "Are You Being Served?"...
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 06:58:48 PM »
they way the bill was written yes...

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 10:06:30 PM »
It's a pander bill
Someone in the house has a VERY Conservative constituancy... By proposing this bill, They can go back at reelection time and claim that they took "a stand against indecency"  

It is an abuse of our government and a demonstration of COMPLETE disregard for any patriotic feelings at all...  

However, it is a common practice that is commited by our estemed represenatives ALL TOO OFTEN while we waste election seasons on conspiracy therories and ancient history.  

Make no mistake,  bills like these are our own fault for PUTTING UP WITH IT for so long.
Alles!!!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 11:14:16 PM »
Its also a reflection on how little attention people pay to local and state  elections and their impact on law and private life.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 11:28:01 PM »
Other VA bills moving right now

RICHMOND, Va. -- Legislation honoring the Virginia big-eared bat moved one step closer to passage Wednesday.
On a unanimous voice vote, the state Senate General Laws Committee endorsed Del. Jackie T. Stump's bill designating the endangered species as the official state bat. Stump, D-Buchanan, said the idea was offered by the Virginia Cave Board as a tool for educating Virginians about caves and the creatures that inhabit them.

RICHMOND, Feb. 1 -- Gov. Mark R. Warner and some Republican legislators are urging the General Assembly to revamp the way Virginia taxes telecommunications services in light of the new phone, cable, wireless and Internet options available to consumers.
The new tax system, which industry analysts say would be the first of its kind in the country, would replace a decades-old patchwork of local levies placed on services that Virginians use to communicate and receive information.

This is my favorite selection though

Virginia yields to no state in its protection of individual rights. This year, the legislature has stood tall against the threat to freedom posed by the use of cameras to enforce the law against running red lights. Lawmakers made certain that Virginians would not be barred from entering a day-care center with a loaded gun. And the House is poised to reject an effort to restrict teenagers' use of cell phones while driving.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 11:30:36 PM by ElJeffe »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 12:54:40 PM »
and just like that the droopy drawers bill is dead...
Yay!