Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 18508 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2005, 12:03:56 AM »
I actually feel the same way, Ookla. I certainly don't think they measure up to the original trilogy, But when I hear people talking about how Lucas spoiled his own dream, I get bored and lose attention, since i think it's too exaggerated a comment for the context and doesn't show a grasp on what's going on.

I like 'em. I buy 'em on DVD the first day they're out. My eagerness in purchasing is more due to the star wars legacy, but i wouldn't buy them at all if I didn't want to own the film.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2005, 11:30:08 AM »
Nice of you to imply that people who don't agree with your viewpoint are mentally unsound SE.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2005, 11:55:34 AM »
that doesn't imply mental unsoundness at all. It implies that they haven't really thought about what the movies are doing.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2005, 12:27:45 PM »
Oh, so someone disagreeing with your interpretation of an artistic endevour means that they are wrong and you are right? Isn't that one of the common complaints against professors in universities, that they only allow students to show beliefs in agreement with their own and thus don't accept the validity of other interpretations?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 12:28:41 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2005, 02:08:06 PM »
why yes, I am right.

are you a little touchy about this one, Entropy?

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2005, 08:38:50 PM »
SE is ALWAYS right, except for when he's wrong.

He's only wrong when he disagrees with me. Whenever he agrees with me, he's completely right.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »
SE, I don't think Entropy is being touchy, I think you are being unreasonable. Entropy has a good point here, and instead of responding to it, you ask him a question for which I can find no basis. In short, you are not debating, you are saying I am right and everyone else who disagrees is wrong. And then you wonder why Ent responds the way he did.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
Guys...this isn't a religious debate or anything...though it's true that Jedi was marked as a religion in the Australian census...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2005, 08:54:21 PM »
actually, archon, his question was very passive-aggressive and a very poor way to try and engage me in a debate.  Nice to try and paint me as the bad guy.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »
Ok, SE. I would continue, but I know that we would never get anywhere, and people would end up getting angry, and I really don't care enough. Entropy can speak for himself.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2005, 09:23:16 PM »
Fine I'll take the teim to address his miscontruals.

1) there was nothing in anything that I said to imply anyone had mental instability. That was just blatant misrepresentation and an intentionally demeaning one.

2) his second response was off subject and irrelevant. If I didn't think I was right, I wouldn't believe what i believe. So naturally someone else will be wrong. I'm not grading or evaluating anyones ability to interpret a movie or to say anything about it. However, if I were, I would stand by what i said. complaints that Lucas is ruining his own dream are absolutely stupid (note, before I get any flak about using the word "stupid," Entropy, nor anyone here, has said stuff along this lines in this thread, nor can I point to a specific time when any of you have said it, so I am *not* calling anyone, or their ideas stupid). He's been very clear in recent interviews that he is realizing his own dream. What they MAY mean, if they're doing anything accurate, is saying that he's contradicting the VIEWER'S previous understanding of what was going on. The two ideas are very incongruous, and frankly, every complaint I've heard about the prequels ruining all of Star Wars sound an awful lot like fanboy whining. Thus the arguments i'm against are not well formulated or rational, and were they written in a film criticism paper would deserve a very poor grade on a paper.

So yes, I'm right. I do believe what I said, or I wouldn't have said it. And no, I'm not being unfair in my assessment. I may be wrong, but I have rational and textual reasons for what I'm saying.

Note, that NONE of this says that you're wrong about not liking them. There are plenty of reasons not to like them, but the complaint that they are completely out of synch with the feel and ideals of the original trilogy are bunk. complain about poor scripting, dialog, acting, sure. talk about that. Don't make up some weak fanboy betrayal mechanism into the equation. That's just weak.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2005, 09:43:19 PM »
Actually, jedi was marked as a religion elswhere, I believe in the UK. In Australia, people putting down Jedi were fined. I put down "Voodooist" my mother "Druid"

Next time, I'm putting down Jedi, and if they fine me, taking them to court and swearing under oath it is my religion, which it kinda is, since The Force is basically chi and I believe in chi and they have no right to decide what I believe or not. Hopefully I can make it into a big case and media spin will make it look like "They're trying to ban relgions they don't like"and everyone will lose respect for the government and we can vote in someone worthwhile next time.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2005, 09:51:27 PM »
*blinks*

I don't give a rats toss about betrayal and all that other stuff this conversation was about. What I don't like is the way you phrased your response to betrayal sentiments. Instead of phrasing it in a, 'I believe this..' way, you felt the need to put it in a, 'This is correct, and to think otherwise shows this deficiency'. I'm kinda tired of people feeling the need to denigrate each other over stuff like that, especially considering all the positive messages that Lucas tries to put into his work.

And just to save us all a paragraphs worth of time - my previous comments may have been 'passive aggressive', whatever you meant by that, but they did not say you were the misbegotten child of a drunk welshman who got overly amorous with a female redcap. Just to be clear, heh.

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2005, 09:55:11 PM »
Yes, it was here in the UK that Jedi was put down on the census by people. They used the 'other' box, the one designed for all the satanists and cultists and stuff. 115,000 people put Jedi down on the census. To put that in perspective, 300,000 people put Buddhist and 2 million put Islamic. The government refused to accept it as a valid religion though, probably since then it would get a place on various government religous tolerance councils and such.

The papers said it showed the british love of mocking our governmental institutions. I think it was a sign for more british actors as Jedi in episode 3.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 09:56:28 PM by Charlie82 »

Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2005, 02:31:19 AM »
The Australians who did it were fined?

That would never fly in the US. But anyway it's illegal for the US Census to ask about religion.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!