Alternate Realities > Endless Stars

Combat

<< < (3/8) > >>

Entsuropi:
You have to remember, this is a PBEM game. Over complexity will just stun the players.

Here is what i thought up. It's PBEM, so dice are out. What about orders? You'd need a GM of some kind to adjudicate it, but if you could choose from say Strong Attack, Mild Attack, Defend, Take and Hold or similar things - like the Special Orders from BFG - they might do different things. Like mild attack (being a probing, careful assault)  will defeat defend, but a strong attack will stop it. Strong Attack (a brute rush) will defeat mild attack, but fail against defend.

Something like that. It adds interactivity, and strategy (how has this player resolved the situation in the past?, maybe some repercussions of the various things (even if you annihilate the enemy with Strong Attack, it leaves you out of place so an additional enemy fleet can nip around behind you and attack the planet anyway sort of thing). It also deals with the no-dice thing.

Mr_Pleasington:
No, actually dice are in...just not many.  Each phase of a combat round should be resolved in one roll.  

I'm not a big fan of the rock/paper/scissors stuff as I'd like for the design system to be broad enough for players to develop their own weapon systems.  

Like I said, there's a lot of factors I'm considering here.  Keep throwing ideas out people, it's helping.

Entsuropi:
But why dice? That assumes that players have them to hand, and it's not really needed, with the use of clever systems.

Mr_Pleasington:
Because I like the idea of randomness, otherwise battles would be almost predetermined.  If you can design me a system that doesn't use dice, adds some randomness, and keeps stategy in the battle, I'd certainly consider using it.

Legion:
if you want to get nice and fancy with this game, could you make the dice system part of the page.....if it is going to take place in a forum, you make a button that posts a random number that is between x and y.  This number will only be seen when posted, and can not be changed....not sure if this is possible

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version