Author Topic: TWG T-Shirts  (Read 11671 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: TWG T-Shirts
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »
I don't think there is NEARLY enough interest in having a print TWG to justify the effort of making a data cd or a print TWG. What would it include? Stuff already available for free on the web site? there's no reason to make a cd for it, which would cost the producer effort and the buyer cash for stuff that's already available for free.
There is nothing to put on a music CD
POD is fine, but if we can save a few bucks, even 2 or 3, I'd rather do that. True, we're looking at probably very small runs, which makes pre-printing potentially hazardous. But the savings would be worth it if we knew. Frankly, I just don't think there's enough NEED to have all that other stuff on cafepress, and they charge more, so I lean toward pre-print.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2004, 05:27:18 PM »
Tage: Sam Logan says "hi"

anyway, he explained his shirt system to me. Basically, the important part of decision making is this. With his plan, which uses Brunetto, you can charge $15 and make a $5 profit.
With cafepress you can charge $15 and break even. To me, that choice seems pretty clear.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2004, 05:30:31 PM »
Since when does Sam Logan run a t-shirt print service?

Geez we really need to get someone to review S&F. It's still one of my favorite comics.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2004, 05:48:52 PM »
As long as I'm here, I thought I'd throw in some Tage quotes, since I have so few nominations:

What, exactly, does the summoning ritual consist of to summon me? More importantly, does it involve offering virgin girls to me?

This is a good example of why it's impossible to have a rational discussion on this forum.

I've decided that your avatar is named Basil. Shake it, Basil.

I think it's been too long since we poked fun at the brits.

Whew, my cynicism in humanity is restored!

I thought she meant boobers, which is probably the only reason I'd watch it.

It's a wonder to me that anyone pays money to see hot chicks these days, what with the internet and all.

I wonder if it's even possible for a thread on this forum to not eventually descend into mindless drivel.

Oh I don't know, there are definitely things about people I'd just rather not know, and amount of body hair is one of them.

There are possibly dumber things to do, but I figure hey, I want a challenge.

Ok, that's way more than I originally intended. I think I let myself get carried away by ... myself.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2004, 06:39:47 PM »
Tage:  I'll get on S&F.  I got about halfway through the comic when my browser crashed, which is why I never wrote a review--I was too lazy to look up where I was in the archive.

I still think that some of Fell's polls would make wonderful T-Shirt patterns.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2004, 07:04:20 PM »
If we are to get a store going there are a few major points to remember...

A) There will be an extremly limited demand.  If we, like you said, are getting 250-300 non forum hits a day, allotting an estimated 100-200 people a day who come that are not members on purpose (without fluke).  I am willing to bet a good amount leave fairly quickly leaving us with maybe 50- 100 a day that look around, maybe 20-80 would check out the store, and how many will buy something?  So estimated 0-80 (big range, I know) a day.  So to get a profit out of this would take time or advertisement, either or, and more attractions to the common man to reel them in.  This means more reviews and maybe a games (for actual playing) section.

B) Everything has to be understandably funny to EVERYONE who we may wish to buy it.  Many quotes here are friggin' hilarious to us but to others the joke would be lost.  Remember that our targeted consumer knows nothing about the forum, our personalities or traits and no event in the actual site which happened in the past.

There was something else I wanted to say but I can't remember it, it was a logical point though, so keep it in mind...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »
I second both of Gorgon's points.  Also, if this were to make any money, we would have to discuss where it would go.  It would be a small enough amount that probably the best place for it to go is the purchase of items to review.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2004, 07:13:27 PM »
I definately think that any money made after all investors are paid back should either go towards buying items to review or paying people who spend an extra amount of time reviewing, programming or making something for the site.  After all, the more we have to review, show off and give to the general public the more people will want merchandise, but you gotta start small.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2004, 08:15:05 PM »
Sam Logan doesn't run a print service. He just explained to me how he arranges for the sale of T-shirts on his forum

And I'm thining of selling them at cost. A $10 T-shirt. no profit, just advertising.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2004, 08:37:15 PM »
I think useing the Brunetto serview for shirts is a good idea.  And if we want/need to, jump to CP for other odds and ends.  The only things at CP I can see being cool to sell would be a TWG clock (as Jeffe mentioned) and a calinder with 42's artwork on it (that could be realy cool).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2004, 08:40:09 PM »
Well at no profit and advertising, what are we advertising for?  More no profit shirts?  

Personally in this situation the idea of no profit deals to pull other people in to get them later when we DO get a profit seems ridiculous, and heres why;

If we have an extremely limited demand.  Selling shirts at no profit will move them faster, but will not bring up the demand much (if at all) unless incorperated with other gimmicks, like some of the suggestions I gave out above.  This is return drains our demand to a minimum while we need to sell more shirts to pay back the investors, who should, in my book, get more if this is a success than they put in.

Now, if we were to sell for $11.50 we rake in $1.50 a shirt, at approx. 0-80 shirts a day within one month we could be in a profit as long as we don't hold zero for many days on end.  Then we can bump up the price to $13 a shirt, doubling profits, and we would have gotten about the same amount of advertising done.  At this point we can use surplus profits to make other merchandise and more fulfilling attractions in our site.

And if we go at $11.50 and it fails completely, we will always come out licking our wounds a little, lower our price to $10 and come out with at least $3 (yeah us!) profit.

That's the path I would personally like to see taken.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2004, 08:42:52 PM »
y
licking our wounds a little, lower our price to $10 and come out with at least $3 (yeah us!) profit.

This is given that we manage to sell all the shirts left after we lower the price.  If we don't sell all the shirts in this situation then we wouldn't have sold them all in a $10 to begin with situation anyway, so no worries.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2004, 08:46:36 PM »
The cow speaks much sence.

*Man I've got to lay off the caffine*
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2004, 08:52:16 PM »
Yeah, I don't think it's the caffine that is driving you to understand a cow...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2004, 08:59:14 PM »
actually , I'm not sure what nubmers the cow is using.
How does charging 11.50 not equal a profit?

anyway, the point of non-profit shirts is to advertise the site, not the shirts themselves.

The only thing I really want off cp is a hat. i like hats. I want a hat that tells people that the deus ex machina monkey is bad