Author Topic: Snow Crash  (Read 5049 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Crash
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 10:19:09 AM »
Idoru, All of tomorrow's parties. Those are gibsons newer, better and more modern-feeling works since Neuromancer. But neuromancer is very much the archetyical 'punk story.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 01:02:04 PM »
Ok, I'm familiar with Neuromancer, I actually quoted that in a class I taught at Weber State.  Shame on me for not having read it!

I'll move on to that one when I finish Snow Crash...
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Connectz

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 02:09:36 AM »
I really, REALLY hope they make a movie or video game of this.  It is an awesome book that needs to be adapted to the big screen in some form or fashion.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 01:20:40 PM »
Wow, how's that for thread resurrection? This one gets a pardon, though, since he reminded me that I still need to read this book.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 01:22:38 PM »
Still not as bad as the Da Vinci Code necromancy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 01:23:42 PM »
I don't know if Snow Crash would make a good movie. It needs the heavy pseudo history/sociology/religion bit in the middle to work, and you'd have a hell of a time making that interesting on the big screen.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Connectz

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »
Sorry that I bumped this.  I just finished the book yesterday and searched the net to see if anything was in the works for this as far as a movie goes and I stumbled upon this site.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 10:47:27 PM »
Well, since Tage pardoned you, you're ok.

Just don't go making a habit of bringing up threads that are more then two pages back and you wont have a problem here.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 03:06:00 AM »
Snow Crash would make an excellent film - keep in mind it was originally planned as a Comic, and so is ideal for a visual medium. You'd need to do heavy pacing edits, but I like to think it'd be possible to leave in the religion bit - it's the main POINT of the book, and certainly explains a lot of the plot. Then again, you can go the hollywood route and just make a story about Raven.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2006, 04:40:14 AM »
Snow Crash would make an excellent film - keep in mind it was originally planned as a Comic, and so is ideal for a visual medium.

Do you think that's really true? My friend is going to be writing and publishing graphic novels, and he's using the principles of writing screenplays as the background, with an idea that he could publish the results as graphic novels and sell them as screenplays as well.

I'm not so sure about this. I think if you wanted to produce a graphic novel you'd just produce a graphic novel and if you wanted to produce a screenplay you'd write a screenplay, and that that's how the movie producers are going to think. But he has a background in animation/storyboarding and has done graphic novels as well as screenplays, so perhaps he has a better understanding of it, while I only understand novels and short stories and the New York-type publishing world--which is very different from Hollywood. What do you all think? Are graphic novels practically screenplays anyways? Are they easily adaptable into screenplays? Or are they an entirely different medium?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2006, 08:53:21 AM »
The main difference is that a graphic novel script describes static images, and has to make sure there's room in those images for any text he wants included, while a screen play has to describe action.

They're similar mediums, but they have different restraints, and have a couple different strengths. A graphic novel script could be almost directly adapted to a screenplay, but to do so would ignore the differences and the screenplay would be weaker for it. That said, because they are both visual mediums, a graphic novel script would be much easier to adapt to film than a novel.