Alternate Realities > Endless Stars

Technology

<< < (3/6) > >>

Mr_Pleasington:
The tech tree is exactly what we need!  

I disagree with the danger of tech.  Buying tech should be an advantage though some of the ones I've listed, you may note, have a drawback...like building robotics facilities (its lowers morale because it puts people out of work)

The Jade Knight:
I don't like that some techs would preclude others, however.  It makes for more limited development of alien races.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo:
I think that all tech should have dangers, but they shouldn't be large.  When I said you should roll to see if a system of yours has a nuclear meltdown, I didn't mean it should be likely.  Also, the benefits should clearly outweigh any non-benefit, and dangers should be temporary things, but they would put a little more depth to the game.

I kind of have a system in mind. Alright, say I own four systems, and I have nuclear power researched.  The risk of nuclear power would be plant malfunctions and meltdowns, to the benefit of a higher production and population limit.  I would roll four d-10s, and for every 8+ I get there is a meltdown.  I then roll a dice to determine the system hit by the meltdown.  Finally, I roll a d-100 for damage.  

Physical Damage and Morale Damage could be tied together, as a percentage thing, or could be rolled seperately.  I think they should be tied together.  So I go to that system and find the quadrant that has that system's nuclear power plant.  I roll a d-100 for damage.  There are different levels, the higher the number the more damage.  Damage effects morale, so morale in this quadrant would drop.

I think it is important that there be some downside to having upgraded technology, and I don't think it should be the risk of not getting the technology.  The technology should be a certain price, but once you get it there should be danger.  And there should be other technologies you can research to reduce the risk of having AI robots or an artificial sun or whatever later in that and other trees.  It puts risk in the research, like was wanted, but takes away a little bit of the severety and randomness, because you'll know what risks lie in a technology when you research it.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
30% chance of a powerplant going bad enough to damage a significant chunk of the system, huh? We don't have that much risk NOW, and i can only imagine that safety protocols and mechanisms would improve. But say, maybe 10% chance per system with a nuclear power plant might be more playable.

Also, roll them one at a time, in alpha order, that way you don't roll again to see where it hits. Reduces rolls that way.

The Jade Knight:
I think it should be possible to have "streamlined" alien races where these sorts of dangers could be gotten around, however.  Perhaps an additional tech, where you trade time for safety?  (Either way, however, the risk/cost would have to be enough make it worth it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version