Author Topic: Grumpy things go here  (Read 29929 times)

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
Re: Grumpy things go here
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2005, 10:23:56 PM »
One the imperfections of society is that judges don't always make decsions according to the law, but rather rely on intangibles. The intangible that gets me is when judges look at who the lawyers are in the case and then go with the one that has the best reputation (i.e. the best golfer) instead of considering the facts and law. The sad thing is that this particular intangible seems to be used by various judges rather frequently (regardless of the complexity of the case).

It's time for me to get out of litigation.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2005, 10:27:11 PM »
I hate bar exams. They are so trival, test on meaningless mind games, and are no longer serve to weed out potentially bad lawyer/judges. They also take a lot of time to prepare for. As I have said, it is like preparing for a marathon, but with a lot more sitting.

I've already passed a bar exam. Why can't that be good enough?

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2005, 10:29:21 PM »
I think it's ridiculous that each state has its own bar (though rationally I can see why, given all the state laws that differ from state to state). Are you taking a new state exam? You guys just moved, right?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2005, 10:47:08 PM »
Wow, Greg.  Way to give me hope in the American Justice system. I think I'll go hide under a rock now.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #244 on: July 19, 2005, 08:30:06 PM »
I just got back from the post office, where the woman at the counter actually refused to give me service. I asked her about whether media or first class would be cheaper for a local package, she said it depended on weight, so I asked if she'd weigh it. Before she weighed it, though, she started picking apart (literally--with her fingers) another package of mine and saying it needed to be taped. Well, it'd have been fine if she hadn't torn it apart, and I told her so. She got all huffy. I said, whatever, I still needed to mail my other packages because I wasn't going to buy tape from them, and pushed my other packages forward. She said, "Now, you are not to throw things at me." I said I didn't, I just needed to mail those packages. She then said, "You know what? I think you need to see someone else, because this isn't starting out right," and then refused to help me further. I didn't have time to wait in line again for someone else. So I'm back at work, really angry, and mad at myself for not being able to stand up for myself, and for losing my temper and storming out of the post office when she refused to help me. Argh! I just can't deal with even the little things right now.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »
Stacer- Every state has it's own bar exam but all the bar exams are based off of uniform law such as the English common law and uniform codes. Parts of the bar exam (the dreaded "Multi-state Bar Exam" and tedious "Multi-state Performance Test") are given uniformly, nationwide, at the same time/day. Thus, specific state law is rarely tested.

I've also notice in my own practice of law and already being licensed in two states that most state law is the same with just some differences in some of the smaller details.

That is probably more than any self-respecting time waster should know, but I find that when I waste time, I can't help but learn useless trivia.

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2005, 12:14:33 PM »
I've got senior pictures today. I hate dressing up, so this is bound to make me rather grumpy. I also have to start working on my three books for my AP Literature class. I thought summer was supposed to be a time for rest...
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2005, 12:54:26 PM »
we didn't dress up for my senior pictures. They just had a fake tux thing that went on over our clothes

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:16 PM »
I didn't have a tux or anything, but wearing two shirts, a tie, and pants in such warm weather was not fun. But, I think that they may have found a way to make me looks slightly less like a hobo in my pictures, which is always a good thing.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2005, 12:02:53 AM »
They gave us the same thing for our senior pictures. Rather quite funny and such.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2005, 08:48:18 PM »
I'm grumpy because...

• I got turned down for the second time for a job I interviewed for.
  • When I showed up at work, the place was trashed.
  • The server crashed at work.
  • Spent about hour listening to various people complain about their personal problems.
  • Couldn't sleep.
  • Had to wait a half-hour in line at the bank.
  • Went to KFC to get some food to cheer me up and they messed-up my order and were unable to fix it.
  • The street lights had gone out causing traffic to back up.
  • Order of the Stick didn't post today.
  • And my apartment needs cleaning.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 09:04:50 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 23, 2005, 12:04:54 AM »

• Order of the Stick didn't post today.

I'll second that. Grrr.  >:(
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2005, 12:32:41 AM »
I'm also grumpy because EUOL is in New York and I am in California. We're on opposite sides of the US, for crying out loud!  :P

I'm cutting this vacation as short as I possibly can.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #253 on: July 23, 2005, 12:48:35 AM »
I'm grumpy because my girlfriend is in a whole different country right now!  And she gets home late Sunday, and then Monday morning my family is leaving to go exactly where she just was.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 09:00:03 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »
My parents have a HUGE big screen TV. Which should be cause for the Happy Thread, right? Well, it has like 3 or 4 controls, and you have to use one to turn the TV on, one to turn the screen on, one to get the satellite going, one to change the channels, and an entirely different one to watch movies! And right now I can't figure it out, and my little brother (the only one who knows how to operate it) isn't home.  >:(

Sometimes I think technology is more work than it is worth. Isn't it supposed to simplify our lives? Yeah, right.