Author Topic: Songs that heal the camel's back  (Read 2146 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Songs that heal the camel's back
« on: February 14, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »
I've always liked Smashing Pumpkins, but never with any great passion. Then the other day I heard their cover of Landslide, one of my favorite songs, and they rocked it--now I absolutely love them.

My question is this: is there a particular song that has convinced you to love a band you never used to pay much attention to?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Songs that heal the camel's back
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:10:54 AM »
Oddly the Smashing Pumpkins song "Perfect" did that for me.

Better Than Ezra's "Closer"

« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 01:11:11 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:49 AM »
Radiohead's "Paranoid Android."
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:22:29 AM »
Bob Dylan "Visions of Johanna"

That song birthed an epiphany.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:22:47 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:25 PM »
Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue"

TMBG's "Whistling in the Dark"

Ben Folds... umm... something

Early Cake

and at one point Korn and that Limp Bizket phased out of my life wherein I felt that the "hardcore" rock was just some pointless drivel that was completely pointless.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 11:08:45 PM »
"No Rain" by Blind Melon
"Far Behind" by Candlebox
"Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson. I only have one cd of his, but I like almost everything on it now, and I want more. Now "Cliffs of Dover" and "Nothing Can Keep Me From You" are by far the two most played songs on my iTunes.
"Rubina" by Joe Satriani is probably the most recent example. I discovered it exactly how I discovered Eric Johnson. I was sitting in my room, and my dad was in the room next to me, loading music onto his computer. The guitar sounded familiar, and I liked it, so I went in and snatched it from him.
I know I am going to catch some flak from this one but...
"Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin. Yes, they are classic, yes they are one of the most influential rock bands of all time, and yes, there was a time when I just plain didn't like them. But when I heard this song, I immediately liked it, so it got me into exploring some of their other stuff, and now I like Zeppelin a lot more.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:40:56 AM »
"Disarm" and "Stumbleine" for me when it comes to the Smashing Pumpkins. A lot of their best work seems to come when they go acoustic.

"Confession" by Cold. I don't particularly like their older stuff, and a few of their harder songs are weak, but I've found a lot to like about this band.

"Straight, No Chaser" by Bush made me give their album Razorblade Suitcase another listen. Now it's one of my favorite albums.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 09:16:16 AM »
The Kinks, "Celluloid Heroes"
brilliant. Here in the middle of a crap-kicking, shredding live concert, they stop and do a ballad about Bette Davis. and Rudolf Valentino. It embodies both the life outlook of Ray Davies and the sort of reverence we used to hold for Hollywood that has denigrated into today's media circus. The tune, the words, they're amazing on a metaphorical level.

After listening to that song on that album, I started buying every Kinks album I ever saw, even if it only had songs on it that I already owned.