Author Topic: Plotting  (Read 1675 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Plotting
« on: June 08, 2004, 07:30:01 PM »
What's your favorite kind?  Meaning, what kind of plots do you like to read?  I'm curious, because I've tried a lot of different things, but I'm generally worried that I fall back on the same kinds of plots.  I'm interested to see other peoples' take on it.

One of my favorite kinds of plots is a guilty pleasure--I love the 'hidden identity' style plots.  Shakespeare was great at these--they're the plots where someone is pretending to be something they're not.  The audience knows, but the love interest/comrades don't.  The tension centers around the audience wondering when the characters will discover 'the truth.'  

This one can be really fun--unfortunately, I think it's over-used, and can be very lame if there's no personal tension (I.e., if it becomes a sitcom-style farce instead.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Plotting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:40:42 PM »
I'm a sucker for the epic quest, I'll admit it.

Which makes me wonder why I didn't include one in the first novel I'm actually going to complete.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:18:20 PM »
I like epic quests that involve a lot of personal or inter-personal angst.

I'm really big on melodrama, so my guilty pleasure is anything melodramatic.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:17:23 PM »
I like the epic quest, but I'm real sucker for the horrible, terrible, no-good, bad day kind of plot where things just keep getting worse. Especially is there is a silver-lining at the end of it all.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 03:10:26 AM »
I like all kinds, I'm personaly partial to ones with lots of flashbacks even though I know most people hate that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 06:02:17 PM »
Me too, subplots are good.

I like plots that don't always resolve good.  I hate it when everything wraps up neat and tidy happily ever after.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 09:21:09 PM »
My favorite plot is the quest. Just plain old, plain old. I'm happier if the protagonist isn't saving the world, creation, or life as we know it (Jim). I also really enjoy plots where character dynamics plays an important role.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 03:19:49 AM »
I'm rather partial to mystery or puzzle plots. I love it when (the reader and) the hero is trying to figure out a solution to a problem (or figure out why things are falling apart) while on an impossible quest to save their world (be it their village, their kingdom, or their continent).