Author Topic: everyone has their grammar nitpick  (Read 926 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: everyone has their grammar nitpick
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 10:27:51 AM »
I think that everyone has the right to their own opinion, even if his or her opinion is wrong.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 11:40:29 PM »
But we wouldn't have this problem in Esperanto.  Errr...would we?
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 05:12:45 PM »
Sadly, Esperanto is even more obviously intrinsically sexist. There are a couple proposals people have made for fixing this, but they haven't really gone anywhere.

BUT actually in this specific case, "everyone" is plural in Esperanto, so it takes a plural referring pronoun with no problem.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »
Earlier, I never read all the way down to figure out what the article was about. Now that I've read more, I'll just say--right on! All this time as I've developed myself as an editor, I've been beating the "they" habit out of myself. Now I can live FREE!

Really, that's one thing we've talked about in editing classes, and usually the explanation is that the language is evolving. Interesting to find out that it's been common usage for over 200 years.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 11:11:52 PM »
Well. What the article does NOT say is whether the famous sources cited also did NOT use the "everyone...his" paradigm. (Unless I missed it.) That would be useful. Otherwise, if the examples they cite are in fact in the vast minority of the usages by those particular authors, it's not a very convincing argument.