Author Topic: Reen's obsidian  (Read 23996 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Reen's obsidian
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 09:26:11 PM »
Mwa ha ha ha ha.

Do you ever get tired of wielding such enormous power over the rest of us?  ;)
He ate my horse.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2008, 12:01:52 AM »
Well, regardless of if it's a herring or not, Ookla's post implied that we were getting close to something before he posted. (Or that we were wandering aimlessly, but I see more logic behind him efforting up a vague post in a topic close to something as opposed to just arbitrarily throwing a few in there. Of course, now that I've posted this, it's possible he could do it elsewhere to throw us off. Or not do it elsewhere, to throw us off.)

The main point is, I think either Reen's piece of obsidian is important, or Vin's earring is not. Or both. The most current posts before Ookla's were about how just because something has the potential to be important it does not have to be important. I think that in the future we should be very careful not to immediately attribute importance to Vin's earring, but look at it from both sides.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 02:15:56 AM »
i agree whole heartedly. the possability of importance instantly creats the opening for countless theories. 
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
lol i can picture Ookla sitting in front of his computer right now, snickering and rubbing his hands together gleefully. "All is proceeding as planned. Mwa ha hahaha hahahaha!"
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2008, 04:26:19 AM »
lol i can picture Ookla sitting in front of his computer right now, snickering and rubbing his hands together gleefully. "All is proceeding as planned. Mwa ha hahaha hahahaha!"
Haha.  You're probably right.  Because whether we decide he was hinting that we were close or that we are way off then we are actually probably wrong so he is laughing hysterically at us.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2008, 05:14:38 AM »
that more than anything makes me spite alpha readers. dont get me wrong, that would be one of the perks of the job and i would love nothing more than pushing and pulling on all the readers while i knew the answer

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »
that more than anything makes me spite alpha readers. dont get me wrong, that would be one of the perks of the job and i would love nothing more than pushing and pulling on all the readers while i knew the answer

Sounds like you're a hypocrite.:P I'd be one too, so all is well.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
Well, regardless of if it's a herring or not, Ookla's post implied that we were getting close to something before he posted. ... The main point is, I think either Reen's piece of obsidian is important, or Vin's earring is not. Or both. The most current posts before Ookla's were about how just because something has the potential to be important it does not have to be important. I think that in the future we should be very careful not to immediately attribute importance to Vin's earring, but look at it from both sides.

My vote between those two options (if those were our only options) would be that the obsidian is important.  Vin's earring is mentioned so often that I think it would be bad storytelling for it not to end up meaning ANYTHING.  It would be the kind of false foreshadowing that leaves readers feeling not just tricked but betrayed.  (Then again, that's exactly what EUOL did in Alcatraz, to prove how mean authors are.)
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
Well, regardless of if it's a herring or not, Ookla's post implied that we were getting close to something before he posted. ... The main point is, I think either Reen's piece of obsidian is important, or Vin's earring is not. Or both. The most current posts before Ookla's were about how just because something has the potential to be important it does not have to be important. I think that in the future we should be very careful not to immediately attribute importance to Vin's earring, but look at it from both sides.

My vote between those two options (if those were our only options) would be that the obsidian is important.  Vin's earring is mentioned so often that I think it would be bad storytelling for it not to end up meaning ANYTHING.  It would be the kind of false foreshadowing that leaves readers feeling not just tricked but betrayed.  (Then again, that's exactly what EUOL did in Alcatraz, to prove how mean authors are.)
It is quite possible that he wanted to do something with the Obsidian, but then never got around to it, or never found room for it and simply dismissed it.  So we could be right on both counts.  Maybe it WAS going to be important, but now isn't.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
It is quite possible that he wanted to do something with the Obsidian, but then never got around to it, or never found room for it and simply dismissed it.  So we could be right on both counts.  Maybe it WAS going to be important, but now isn't.

Yes, that seems very likely.  It would explain the unusual detail about the obsidian in one paragraph, and the complete neglect of it through the next two books.
He ate my horse.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2008, 07:03:38 PM »
i have to point out that since the all powerful Ookla made his satement about sometimes pushing people if they were in the right dirrection and sometimes not the topic of conversation had a dramatic fall off. people stopped talking about their insane ideas and started talking about the plain validity of the topic. its it important? this just goes to show the kind of power said people have over us and how much i envy them. besides the point i am often a hypocrite and i enjoy being one. nothing is ever fun unless you can have it both ways.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2008, 03:38:01 AM »
i have to point out that since the all powerful Ookla made his satement about sometimes pushing people if they were in the right dirrection and sometimes not the topic of conversation had a dramatic fall off. people stopped talking about their insane ideas and started talking about the plain validity of the topic. its it important? this just goes to show the kind of power said people have over us and how much i envy them. besides the point i am often a hypocrite and i enjoy being one. nothing is ever fun unless you can have it both ways.

That's just part of it.  The other reason no one has said anything is because there is nothing to be said.  The obsidian gets one paragraph of description, period.  At least the earring shows up a few more times and might (or might not!) be effecting Vin's magic.
Nature hates being reified.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »

That's just part of it.  The other reason no one has said anything is because there is nothing to be said.  The obsidian gets one paragraph of description, period.  At least the earring shows up a few more times and might (or might not!) be effecting Vin's magic.
EVERYTHING in the books points towards her earring having a HUGE significance in what she can do.  the odds of it being not what is helping is nil to none.

In any case I still stand that it was possibly intended for something big, then neglected, OR it was just being saved for a last minute bit of intuition from Vin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 10:18:21 PM »

EVERYTHING in the books points towards her earring having a HUGE significance in what she can do.  the odds of it being not what is helping is nil to none.

In any case I still stand that it was possibly intended for something big, then neglected, OR it was just being saved for a last minute bit of intuition from Vin.

I agree with your assessment about the earring.  I was trying to concede that the point was possible in pricinple.  Personally, though, I would be astounded if it didn't mean anything.

I am much less certain about the obsidian.  I could go either way on it, but we have almost nothing to go on about it.
Nature hates being reified.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
Happyman I agree, I understand that the earring stands a good chance of being more than it is along with the odsidian. I also agree that with the amount of talk about the earring in the books there is a bettrer chance of it being of importance. These things alone do not mean that there is importance. That was the only point i was attempting to make. The earring has already been pivitol to Vin and it again is mentioned at the end of WoA when she reaches and pickes it out of the well. I was only saying that the earring could be important just due to the fact that its metal. it doesnt need anymore story, Vin may use it at an important time as a last ditch peice of metal to accomplish somthing importanct, or it could be more.