Author Topic: Vin's Mom  (Read 12625 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Vin's Mom
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2008, 03:07:06 AM »
Do obligators know how it works?
We could assume that there were theories.  I mean, there are ALWAYS rumors about things you don't fully understand, especially when you are so close the the thing causing the stigma.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »
I would assume that they knew at least something.

Also, this topic started yesterday, I believe, and we're already to four pages. That just might be a record for us. Go team!
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
I think there was something posted earlier that was like. . . opposite of this, but I suddenly thought this.

What if the Obligators were using Vin's mother, and other Skaa, in an attempt to overthrow the Inquisitors and TLR?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 04:24:13 AM »
Then they'd get face pwnt by the Inquisitors
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 04:27:46 AM »
That doesn't mean they weren't trying.

A little bit of support:

The Obligators were scholars - They would have been able to be in contact with TLR and been able to figure a lot of things out.  Therefore they MIGHT have understood how to fuse Hemalurgy and Allomancy.

We know that not only that one Obligator was sleeping with Skaa.

We also know that the Obligators hate SIs.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 09:33:51 AM »

A little bit of support:

The Obligators were scholars - They would have been able to be in contact with TLR and been able to figure a lot of things out.  Therefore they MIGHT have understood how to fuse Hemalurgy and Allomancy.

Wouldn't they have told Elend/anyone about that then? If they hate the SI's then wouldn't they want to bring about their downfall?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »

A little bit of support:

Wouldn't they have told Elend/anyone about that then? If they hate the SI's then wouldn't they want to bring about their downfall?
I don't know if you remember, but before the collapse. . . . EVERYONE hated all of the people in the Steel Ministry, even the Steel Inquisotors. . . No they wouldn't have told anyone. After the collapse they MAY have said something, but it's very unlikely.  People like to keep secrets.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »
And there is always another secret, neh?

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »
And there is always another secret, neh?
lol thats what i was just thinking
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
Sorry, I'm back tracking a bit
Now to be serious she had to be at least a hemalurgist, wasn't she saying something about Vin being a princess or queen when Reen saved her?

Perhaps Vin's mother knew the prophecy, and is saying that her daughter is the hero of ages, or maybe it;s Ruin speaking through her.
Or perhaps it's Ruin or Preservation showing her the future, Vin did after all, end up being a Queen, now she's an empress.  So many of us focus on the skaa, or mistborn side, but Vin's a Queen too, now that's she's married Elend.  Her mother's predictions came true
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 12:35:31 AM »
That's a really interesting point. So you're saying that her mother knew her future through Ruin? The only problem with that is that ruin would see her working against it (ruin), and would arrange for her to be killed as soon as it was freed, which apparently hasn't happened.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »
Unless it was Preservation influencing Vin's mother.

I don't know how that works with the earring thing though, but it's definately something to think about.  Either Ruin and PReservation can see the future, which I think is unlikely, how could they be beat?  or the can cause people to have visions of the future
I wonder what else Vin's mother "babbled" about.
Perhaps, Vin's mother was able to use Atium, enhance by Hemalurgy, to se very far into the future?  But she wasn;t msitborn so that doesn't work.  I don' think it's a coincidence though that there are metals that let someone see the past and the future, and Vin;s mother is babbling things that actually happen later one.
It could be she was just proclaiming Vin the hero of ages because Ruin told her to:  Terris philosphers claim Alendi is hero by giving him piercings, Vin's mom proclaims her a Queen, and gives her a piercing.

It was Vin's mother's own earring though, so what's the significance of that, since she is a hemalurgist it was probably already used, and maybe the baby sister was only used to transfer it's power.
Or maybe the earring has been passed through Generation, and it is the cage that holds Preservaiton :)
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2008, 12:51:25 AM »
That's a really interesting point. So you're saying that her mother knew her future through Ruin? The only problem with that is that ruin would see her working against it (ruin), and would arrange for her to be killed as soon as it was freed, which apparently hasn't happened.

We keep acting as if Ruin was omnipotent!  There's all kinds of evidence that Ruin can only do so much.  Just getting free was apparently a huge amount of work for it.  It may have prepared for after getting free, but there's no guarantee that it would succeed at whatever it planned, let along succeed in an attempted assassination.
Nature hates being reified.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2008, 01:42:42 AM »
Right, Ruin isn't omnipotent, or even totally omnicient, he can't see what people think, but is nearly so (as it says on the book description.
And besides, even if Ruin could off Vin with a thought (I don;t believe he can, at least not yet, he's still looking for something remember, and once he finds it methinks Vin won't matter much then anyway, Perphaps he has future plans for Vin.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »
What if Vin's mom was terris? Not at all likely, I know, but are the Terris physically different from Skaa, or Nobility? The only thing I can think of is the earrings... yeah, crazy thought. But if Vin did have some Terris blood in her ancestry, that would be a reason she was abnormally powerful. That she could be using feruchemy instinctively a little bit at a time, and wouldn't even know she was doing it, because no one teaches her.

There's a crazy theory.