Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37552 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »
One of two things that I can see.

1) Deepness mists controlled by Ruin, Alendi sensing Ruin.

2)Deepness mists = have mind of their own

or I suppose

3) Deepness Mists = Ruin

Of course, this could be wrong, just a guess. For all we know, it could be

4) Deepness Mists = Giant Fluffy Teddy Bear Brought to Life By Alendi's Second Cousin
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »
One of two things that I can see.
1) Deepness mists controlled by Ruin, Alendi sensing Ruin.
2)Deepness mists = have mind of their own
or I suppose
3) Deepness Mists = Ruin
Of course, this could be wrong, just a guess. For all we know, it could be
4) Deepness Mists = Giant Fluffy Teddy Bear Brought to Life By Alendi's Second Cousin

I'm an instant convert of option #4.  Didn't you all catch the detail about Alendi's second cousin being an Awakener of the 8th Heightening?
He ate my horse.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2008, 07:07:10 PM »
of course, they could be wrong and the Deepness isnt the mists at all  :P just had to throw that out there
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
Though Brandon does mention it in his annotations. Not that they definitely are, but that he's sorry if that discovery came off as anticlimactic.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
ah yes, now i remember that quote. And i did think that was anticlimactic...
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
Ya, Vin just sort of blurts it out, doesn't she, "maybe it's the mists.."
I think The Deepness and Ruin have separate conciousnesses, and they just happen to be working towards the same goal.  Perhaps Alendi saw into the Deepness's mind with his piercings, and you notice when Vin confronted the mist spirit, didn't her earing burn or something?  I know she blacked out and her arm went numb, but what else happend?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 08:47:51 PM »
If the mists are the Deepness, i kinda get the idea that its more of a force of nature and less of a personality.

I do not think there are two kinds of mist, just that the mist reacts differently to different people. I remember Sanderson saying somewhere that those who were attacked by the mist had something in common...i looked into it, and found the two people he went in-depth on the mist attacks were both old guys. Nope, don't think thats what he meant...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »
I also think that there is a pattern in who gets taken by the mists and who doesn't.  But I also think the Deepness IS a Sentient being, separate from the mists, yet of them, like the Mist Spirit.  Alendi himself says he has seen into it's mind and it is sentient, right?

EDIT:
Here's a thought, Vin thinks she's the hero because she and Alendi both saw the mist spirit right, well I was just think, who else has th mist Spirit appeared to:
Fedik (alendi's friend who went down to the metal lake and got stabbed)
Sazed  :D
Elend
Besides Vin and Alendi, this is all the people I could think of, anyone else??
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:15:58 PM by Comatose »
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
So why didn't the mist spirit ever try to tell her to remove her earring? I mean, it seemed to try to remove it by itself, but that didn't seem to go over well...

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »
Because the mist spirit can't speak, that's probably what it was trying to do!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2008, 02:36:18 AM »
But it was able to communicate with her enough to get Elend the nugget. Maybe it didn't think she'd listen.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »
Or maybe it didn't have time, maybe that's what it was trying to do, with the knife (boy that doesn't makes sense)?  But Vin attacked it first?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »
I also think that there is a pattern in who gets taken by the mists and who doesn't.  But I also think the Deepness IS a Sentient being, separate from the mists, yet of them, like the Mist Spirit.  Alendi himself says he has seen into it's mind and it is sentient, right?

EDIT:
Here's a thought, Vin thinks she's the hero because she and Alendi both saw the mist spirit right, well I was just think, who else has th mist Spirit appeared to:
Fedik (alendi's friend who went down to the metal lake and got stabbed)
Sazed  :D
Elend
Besides Vin and Alendi, this is all the people I could think of, anyone else??

Didn't Spook also see the mist spirit when he was with Elend?

Also, has anyone mentioned the possibility that the whole HoA prophecy was cooked up by Ruin? It seems possible that it has been lying in wait every age for the one person that would be able to release it from it's prison. First Alendi and now Vin. Maybe the prophecy is just another tool to lure such a person to the well.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »
On this argument i tend to agree with Comatose. It seems plausible that Ruin weather throught Heruology or other means may have created the prophecy for the sole purpose of find the person who would set it free. the issue i find in that idea is that ruin seems to be able to influence the world in a multiple of ways like for instance the altering of text on paper and in metal minds, the opening of the mists to guid Vin. if this is the case then i only assume that preservation has some similar abilities. Possibly the mist spirit is a form of preservation attempting to force Vin to take the weels power and save elend therefor not releasing ruin. if preservation has the ability to influence the world wouldnt it adjust test aswell or maybe create its own prophecy? idk. well find out in october
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
Also, has anyone mentioned the possibility that the whole HoA prophecy was cooked up by Ruin? It seems possible that it has been lying in wait every age for the one person that would be able to release it from it's prison. First Alendi and now Vin. Maybe the prophecy is just another tool to lure such a person to the well.

Many, many times.  Those of us who think that there really was such a prophecy use the arguments I outlined in this thread:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5921.30
Nature hates being reified.