Author Topic: EA inks exclusive deal with NFL  (Read 1371 times)

n8sumsion

EA inks exclusive deal with NFL
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:34:07 AM »
This is big news for armchair quaterbacks around the country. EA has just locked up exclusive rights to the NFL license for the next 5 years. This means no one else but EA can make NFL games for any console. Many of you probably know that the ESPN game was released at $20 this year and did a nice job eating into EA's marketshare.

I'm not going to go into an anti-EA diatribe, or shout about the evil empire of EA. I don't feel that way at all. But any time you remove the prospect of competition in an area, I think it is dangerous for the consumer. I think football games are so good now because there has been such competition between the different brands.

Anyway, hope you like Madden if you play football games, because that and NFL Street may be your only choices.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/13/news_6114977.html

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Re: EA inks exclusive deal with NFL
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 04:48:43 PM »
I had this old, old PC game a while back that had a football game with the name of some Dallas coach or other on it. It was a strategy football game instead of an action one meaning that you acted as the coach and did *nothing* but call the plays and watch the play unfold in front of you. I haven't found its equal in a football game yet. I played mostly with the Miami Dolphins and the Philadelphia Eagles and had a blast. Dallas was overpowered  >:( though and was tough to beat, but I managed to do it with Miami.

High point memory: My eagles putting a Minnesota Vikings player out for the season.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 04:49:12 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 06:07:52 PM »
Personally, I think that Madden is the best of the football games out there.  I hate gimmicky crap, which seems over-abundant in a lot of the others -- I just want plain, old football.

As far as the EA deal, I'm sure the other companies can managed some kind of deal with the NCAA, or resurrect the XFL.  I don't think this will hurt competition.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

n8sumsion

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 07:11:09 PM »
Actually, the NCAA games don't sell near the volume that the NFL games do. Also, a huge hassle involved in the NCAA games is that the game maker has to license each school individually, it's a huge pain. And, if you look at the NCAA football games out there, they are usually the previous-year's NFL game with college uniforms. This makes the NCAA game cost effective. I highly doubt it will be cost effective for a publisher to make only an NCAA game and not the NFL game.

And, c'mon, who is going to buy an XFL game, no matter how great the game is? Midway announced in response to this news that they will still release their Blitz game, but it will be Blitz: Playmakers, based on the ESPN series Playmakers. Anyone going to want to play this one? Maybe a couple people, not the hundreds of thousands that will flock to the new NFL game.

Now I'm not upset with EA. Madden is a great game. And it was the NFL that approached video game publishers with the exclusive license deal. No matter who had won the deal, be it EA or Sega or whoever, I think it would have been a bad thing. I think one of the reasons Madden is such a great game is that, every year, they had to make it awesome so that it would be better than Sega's ESPN game. And Sega had to make their game better every year to compete with Madden. But with Madden being the only game it town... what does EA have to care now about making the game better? They could do simple roster updates and they would still see massive sales.

Just my opinion. As far as the NFL is concerned, if they had to pick one publisher, I think they made the right decision. I just hope this deal doesn't hurt the NFL brand in the long run, and I hope Madden does make improvements every year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 07:11:34 PM by n8sumsion »

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 07:40:13 PM »
As far as yearly update games go, however, they'll still need to make improvements to compete with their edition from last year. It's not entirely progress by competition. The rate of progress will still probably degrade somewhat, but if EA attempts to go five years without any improvements, their sales will suffer to a degree.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 09:31:20 PM »
I agree that Madden is the best of the football games out there, though it's had it years where it wasn't.  I agree with Nate that this hurst competition especialy with Sega Sports, Temco and 696 Sports.   Though those 3 have realy cut down on the games they're releaseding.  Temco rarely releases a football game, and sega and sony have turned to makeing releaseing games only every other year.  I can see EA takeing forgranted how good they're games are, like they did in the early 90s when Madden had about 2 years where it was a realy bad game and Sony came in and released their own NFL game that casued EA to completly revamp their game makeing structure.  And Sega has been getting better and better.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.