Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37656 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »
No, Spook didn't see the Mist Spirit; it disappeared before he walked up.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
Also, has anyone mentioned the possibility that the whole HoA prophecy was cooked up by Ruin? It seems possible that it has been lying in wait every age for the one person that would be able to release it from it's prison. First Alendi and now Vin. Maybe the prophecy is just another tool to lure such a person to the well.

Also, ruin only affects small things in clever ways, he doesn't change everything, I think this is for three reasons:
1) While trapped Ruin may not have had the power to change that many things
2) Ruin didn't know all the texts that were out there, he changes things as they come up, example, the Sazed Holy First Witness thing.
3) If he made such big changes (like creating a whole prophcey where there wasn't one before) People would notice, the only reason Kwaan is the only one to notice is because of his photographic memory, however, if Ruin made big changes that were noticable, anyone with a normal memory would notice.  Kwaan says he didn't notice the changes until after he decided Alendi might be the hero.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »
So the Prophecies probably came from something or someone else, but we don't know who. In which case, what was the Hero of Ages originally supposed to do? Stop the Deepness? or something else?

EDIT: I found another reference to the HoA being tall. Sazed and Tindwyl worked on the rubbing vs the logbook and other sources and they found this (WoA, pg 553):
The Hero of Ages will be tall of stature, one read. A man who cannot be ignored by others.

Also, they noted that he will not be Terris, but then the quote is (WoA, pg 420):

The Rabzeen is said to be "He who is not of his people, yet fulfills all of their wishes"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:02:58 AM by Qarlin »

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
While you make a good point, i think its possible for ruin to have created the prophecy. not that i think he did but that it is possible. the prophecy came from the terris religion and was brought about by the "world bringers", who are we to say that during some time in the ancient past that ruin didnt create the prophecy. ruin was obviously around at the time seeing how he was already in the WoA so why not throught the art of Humerology cause the creation of the prophecy that would release him through a prophet of the then powerful terris religion? think about it how are prophecies made? some "prophet" creates them. so it is absoulutly plausible that ruin may have created them seeing how we know he uses Humerology.

Dont get me wrong, i personally dont think ruin created the prophecy but i can understand the idea. i mainly only posted this for the sake of argument but that doesnt disprove the possability.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »
But then why wouldn't Ruin have put in that the power had to be released right off the bat, in the original it doesn't say what the hero has to do with the power, if Ruin created the whole thing, he would have put that the power needs to be given up right of the bat.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »
I agree he would more likely have made the prophecy so it would lead the person who enters the WoA to release the power. that is one of the reasons i dont think ruin made the prophecy. i was making the point that it was possible but i think your right that ruin didnt create it

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
I still wonder what the prophecy was originally about.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2008, 11:42:40 PM »
It was prophecying a hero who would come to defeat the deepness, I think, at least that's the original as we know it, perhaps it was the pwerson who will restore balance to Ruin and Preservation, I'm sure we'll find out soon!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2008, 05:23:38 AM »
It was prophecying a hero who would come to defeat the deepness, I think, at least that's the original as we know it, perhaps it was the pwerson who will restore balance to Ruin and Preservation, I'm sure we'll find out soon!
I definitely believe that they will bring balance.  I mean, you can't have one without the other, that would just cause chaos.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »
Chaos, or lack of change entirely ( in the case of Preservation)
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2008, 10:38:16 PM »
Chaos, or lack of change entirely ( in the case of Preservation)
Do you not remember the Dark Age my dear?

As I recall it there was MUCH chaos, and yet nothing changed over many years.

Too much of either causes chaos.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »
Also, has anyone mentioned the possibility that the whole HoA prophecy was cooked up by Ruin? It seems possible that it has been lying in wait every age for the one person that would be able to release it from it's prison. First Alendi and now Vin. Maybe the prophecy is just another tool to lure such a person to the well.

Many, many times.  Those of us who think that there really was such a prophecy use the arguments I outlined in this thread:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5921.30

I had a similar theory on this very topic:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5810.45

In my opinion, I think MB3 will end with either the Mists being destroyed or both Ruin and Preservation being destroyed. I say the mists being destroyed because it is my theory that since Ruin and Preservation (apparently) manipulate the world via the mists, destroying it would make both forces useless, but maybe the Hero wouldn't intend to defeat both powers, but just Ruin. Preservation would be destroyed as a side-effect, in my opinion.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2008, 12:22:51 AM »
i tend to agree. i think that every factor that has a major part in this story is based off the mist. Ruin, Preservation, Allomancy, Feruchemy. I tend to think that if the mist is destroyed like i think it will be that all of these things will cease to exist. while i think the mist isnt a sentient force in itself it apparently has sentient forces (ruin and preservation) effecting it and living through it. what would happen if the mist was no longer there? would that alone stop the ashmounts or is that something completely differnt

Qarlin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2008, 05:20:24 AM »
Hard to say. Isn't there something in the jacket cover for HoA that says the Ashmounts are starting to cause earthquakes and erupt more violently like volcanoes?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
Hard to say. Isn't there something in the jacket cover for HoA that says the Ashmounts are starting to cause earthquakes and erupt more violently like volcanoes?
Yes I believe it did.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。