Author Topic: Definition of Terms  (Read 7321 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Definition of Terms
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2005, 12:31:03 PM »
I prefer the term suicide bomber, actually, because it keeps their fanaticism front and center. Anyone can commit homicide with a bomb--but when they're willing to kill themselves in the process, you know you're dealing with someone much more determined and dangerous.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2005, 12:50:28 PM »
Personally, I dislike 'homicide bomber' because it's such a politically-charged term.  When newscasters say "suicide bomber", we know exactly what they mean -- they're killing other people in addition to themselves.  The only people who could possibly be confused by this are people who haven't watched the news for the last fifteen years.

"Homicide bomber", as mentioned earlier, has become a conservative buzzword.  (While it occasionally shows up on mainstream media outlets, it is perpetuated almost entirely by Fox News and Sean Hannity.)  Like the phrase "freedom fries", "homicide bomber" just seems smug and politically self-serving.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2005, 10:05:44 AM »
I have missed a few pages on this.  I am glad that it has stuck to the core topic idea.  

"Hommicide Bomber" as a term, is opinionated,  When I choose to use the term Hommicide Bomber (and I do use it often) I am expressing the fact that I have lost all sympathy for the cause that has employed such tactic.   It is an emotional responce.  

When I intend to state something as a matter of historical fact, I use the term "Suicide Bomber" as that is the proper neutral term (IMAO*)

However,  Think of this, sometimes the "bomber" could also be considered a "victim"  When some *Explative deleted* Straps a bomb to an 11 year old Girl and sends her into a crowd,  I am not about to lay blame on that poor child who is frightened, and unable to comprehend the results of that action.  
In these cases its not really "suicide" because the child doesnt make a free informed choice to die.  In these cases I think the term "Hommicde Bomber" is more technicaly accurate.  However the use of "Bomb-Belts" is so frequent that the distinction between the 2 would be too overbearing... So...  When reported in news, it should be "Suicide Bomber"  
When addressed in an editorial context, "Hommicide Bomber"
Alles!!!

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2005, 12:49:51 AM »
I know it's not cool to reply to one self.

But on topic,
THIS is what I would call a Homicide bomber...
http://www.geocities.com/guiltypalestinianteachersparents/
These Children are raised in an environment that gives them little choice
Alles!!!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2005, 12:52:03 AM »
Well put mike...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!