Author Topic: Second Printing  (Read 27263 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Second Printing
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2005, 02:46:56 PM »
I have a link in my signature I use on the animeondvd forums...don't know if anyone's clicked through, though...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
Dropping.
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2005, 02:07:42 PM »
Exact weekly numbers through 6/12

Total: 2560

Sales are definitely dropping off.

All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping.
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »
Sales are definitely dropping off.

:'(
Hopefully the book tour will pick things up. But that's not until August.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2005, 02:52:41 PM »
How many were printed?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2005, 02:55:09 PM »
out of 11,000, and they're thinking of doing a second printing.

First post ;)

How did that meeting ever turn out, anyway?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2005, 04:42:08 PM »
I think about 10k were printed but EUOL needs to sell 8k for TOR to break even on the advance.

As for the second printing this was resolved a few weeks ago there were a lot more spread out across the warehouses then TOR had originally thought so there's no need to do a second printing right now.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2005, 05:59:59 PM »
Heh.  They figured out that one of the distributors had ordered WAY more than anyone expected them to sell, which was why the 11k disappeared so fast.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2005, 06:02:51 PM »
Well, if it helps, a couple of my friends in MA have been reading it on my recommendation. Meaning, hopefully they'll be then recommending it to others, and so on.  :D Yeah, I know, small potatoes. But it was nice to hear a friend say they'd been reading it on my recommendation. She was going to post a review of it on her blog, but hasn't given me the link to it yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

lilacjive

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • www.rfbookreviews.com
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2005, 06:12:50 PM »
Another tip (maybe this was covered, I'm not sure)- Brandon should call every bookstore within an hours radius, ask them if they carry his book in stock. If they don't, say "Oh darn...I wanted to see if I could sign a few copies for you..."
Here's the part where they should jump on it and say, "oh, but we can order some in!" Us booksellers are pretty insane about authors, it makes us feel special. If they don't say that, then mention it. I know we didn't get any in our store (but we don't get a lot of hardcover fantasy), so I had my boss order two in after I saw the romantic times review. Currently one copy is getting whored around by the employees, one I sold myself, and now we're getting another one.

And speaking of whoring the copies, if you're at borders/bdalton/waldenbooks/barnes and noble, and an employee there likes fantasy, tell them to take it out. They get to read it for free, but in turn they'll recommend it, we always do (if we like it, that is).

[/mybooksellerexpertise]

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2005, 06:19:32 PM »
I almost had EUOL convinced to do a big booksigning party at Borders, so he could invite everyone he knew slightly and they could buy his book and he could sign it. He even started to set it up. I stopped asking him about it because I didn't want to be a nag. But I think he forgot about it and it kind of faded out...kind of like his masters thesis.

Maybe if we all nag him together, he'll listen to us.  He definitely needs to print off his thesis so he can get his masters, and a little more marketing can't hurt. ;)

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2005, 06:32:49 PM »
Sheesh, EUOL. Get on the ball with the booksignings. This really is an important time for you to be doing this.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2005, 06:34:56 PM »
But that would require him to go outside and interact with people and that's very un-authorly.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

lilacjive

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • www.rfbookreviews.com
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2005, 06:49:20 PM »
I almost had EUOL convinced to do a big booksigning party at Borders, so he could invite everyone he knew slightly and they could buy his book and he could sign it. He even started to set it up. I stopped asking him about it because I didn't want to be a nag. But I think he forgot about it and it kind of faded out...kind of like his masters thesis.

Maybe if we all nag him together, he'll listen to us.  He definitely needs to print off his thesis so he can get his masters, and a little more marketing can't hurt. ;)

That would work like a charm too. If people see other people buying them up, they'll do it too. I've seen signings go horribly, and I've seen them do really well. We had this guy, John Ketwig (nicest guy ever) who wrote his story from vietnam. Everyone loved him, and he'd always talk to people so people then (I guess) were guilted into buying his book. Then other people saw what the fuss was about, and came over and bought more.

People are too easy :D Especially when you tell them the book is sold in stores nationwide, they'll get right on it.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2005, 07:06:11 PM »
But that would require him to go outside and interact with people and that's very un-authorly.

And very un-Brandonly. I know. I have to use candy to entice him out of his basement.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2005, 07:24:27 PM »
Since when dose he eat candy?

Salt licks I could see but not suger.