Author Topic: column: The Nerdery #1  (Read 1672 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
column: The Nerdery #1
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:09:18 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=904

and you thought I wasn't getting to it.

How apppropriate. THis is EXACTLY the problem that Jeffe and I have. Time demands are high, opportunity low. Make the most of it. Thanks Mr. P.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: column: The Nerdery #1
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 07:57:30 PM »
I agree with most everything that Mr. P said.
Course, when not all the players are time-strapped there can be some friction between those who are.

The gaming group I have now usually starts about a half-hour late and runs about an hour over. It's usually not a big deal, but there have been quite a few sessions where I have had to leave early because of my schedule.

I think almost all of the players I have lost from the group, left because of time constraints.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:39:49 PM »
Nicely done column with an interesting editorial bent as well as some solid advice.  Well done, Mr. P.  This is the kind of content I've always thought the TWG could stand to have a bit more of.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 09:10:34 PM »
agreed EUOL. I was really happy with this submission. I'm glad to hear others enjoyed it. To spark some discussion, is there anything else people do to work gaming in? such as dealing with a spouse/children who don't game?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:43:22 PM »
Glad to hear you all liked it!  Next week's is going to be a bit controversial, I'm afraid, so be ready.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 11:36:54 PM »
Next week: Mr P reveals the truth.

Elvis is alive, and is writing Dragonlance books.

Dum dum DUUM.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 11:39:06 PM »
Hah, cannot wait to read that one Mr. P!  You'll have conspericy theorists talking for weeks.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 11:49:20 PM »
I'd also put my collection of bronze coins in.

I currently play 2 games a week. Tuesday is going to turn into Cyberpunk 2020 week after next (next week we finish off the 7th sea campaign) and thursdays is a conspiracy x game. Problem is, we can't stay serious (or even get serious) and we have way too much time spent off topic or in anecdotes. It's kind of frustrating, but damned if i know how to stop it. I'm currently planning out a Savage Worlds high fantasy campaign, and i could implement the evil 'you are always considered to be incharacter when speaking' rule. So when the players start going off topic, the NPCs start calling the mind-doctors. And one player, lucy, has said she is thinking of dropping one - 2 days a week roleplaying, plus the weekend and friday spent travelling to where her boyfriend lives, and going out with a friend on wednesday leaves her with precious little time to herself. Can't say I blame her.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 04:01:03 AM »
I'm just glad that my husband and I both like to role-play--it makes it much easier! Although, I couldn't play in a game where out-of-game interaction was discouraged.  I'm very much a social gamer--I have fun role-playing because it's time with my friends.

I also don't like very serious gaming.  Power gamers scare me.  I'm in an Orpheus campaign right now, and things are still pretty silly sometimes--even when bad things are constantly happening to our poor characters.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 04:59:04 AM »
My wife used to play, when we were in highschool but she has lost interest. Im sort of dissapointed that she doesnt like Gaming as much as she used too. She loved Vampire the Masquerade. Id find a lot more time to game, if she played at least I wouldnt feel guilty about going out for 3-4 hours on a Saturday.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 09:42:56 AM »
I mean, really, she COULD play with us. Heaven knows we could use the players. But that's the way it goes.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 11:17:40 PM »
Yeah, she's just not into Super Heros, Pirates or Fantasy...

Sorry

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!