Author Topic: Netherworld  (Read 2233 times)

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
Netherworld
« on: April 16, 2003, 04:53:05 PM »
I somewhat doubt he even remembers, but back in spring 1999, Fell introduced me to a MUD called Netherworld. I tried it out back then and have played off and on ever since. Well, anyway, I got placed onto the Immortal staff of the MUD recently so I could help modify the game code for new additions we're trying to get in. We've had a lot of success in our coding recently, and are adding a great new end game feature that has the potential to impact players all the way down to the very earliest stages.

We could, however, use some new players. The MUD has shown a lot of resilience over the years, suriving the loss of half its player base at one point, and its on a fairly good comeback. (Meaning the MUD doesn't look half dead all the time anymore) We're still well short of our previous usage though, and we'd love to have more people.

It's entirely possible that no one here cares in the slightest, so I won't go into the details of the MUD's features now. If you're interested, or just amused that still I play a text-based game, feel free to ask me questions here or visit the MUD online. (No worries. It's free.)

You can connect via a MUD or telnet client to telmaron.com port 3666 or if you're really desperate try the wretched java client found at www.lexiconn.com/users/mud/index.html

(The webpage looks awful and I don't know if it's still the main webpage or not, but I just tried the links to the java app and they work.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 05:00:57 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Netherworld
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 05:45:03 PM »
Man, I haven't played a MUD forever.

I may have to check this out...but I'll have to go and download GMUD (or is it ZMUD) first...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 05:58:09 PM »
I ended up buying zMUD from zuggsoft.com after my trial period simply because it helped so much. I've heard of gMUD before too, but I don't really know anything about it. Any good telnet client will work, so download.com might be a good place to go hunting for a free method to connect.

Or you could use that java applet, but...well some things just shouldn't be. Ask for Aalyrn if you want to find me. I won't be on for a number of hours though.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 05:59:46 PM by Prometheus »
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 03:19:29 AM »
Well, I'm on.  Just getting a feel for school right now.  It's always such a long period of time b/t when I play MUDs that I always forget the commands.

Is this pretty RP intensive?  I hope so.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 12:03:48 PM »
The funny thing is I'm not really even sure what 'RP intensive' means. I've seen so many different concepts of what roleplaying in a computer game is that it's hard to approach the issue anymore. I even found an 'RP' and according to those who played it not a 'RPG' map in the Warcraft III custom games. Whatever that means. I tried playing with them for a while, but left when I couldn' understand what was going on. Sounded more like they were playing with Barbie dolls than anything else.

So yeah. That question's a toughie.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 02:31:42 PM »
By most definitions, persistent world CRPGs (like muds and mmogs) are RP intensive if they require you to play in character, rather than just kill stuff and complete quests. Obviously, this is not the kind of thing you can enforce through game mechanics--it's all up to the players.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 02:58:15 AM »
MMM. muds. ive only ever tried one MUD that i can remember, and that was the Warhammer online one. Very nice, but they wanted you to pay >:(

Unsurprisingly, totally empty a lot of the time.

And Promethius, how did you lose half the player base at once?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 01:00:15 PM »
That's when he joined. Ha ha ha, I crack myself up.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net