Author Topic: King Kong  (Read 3179 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: King Kong
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 11:05:01 PM »
I've been debating whether or not to post my thoughts on this movie since I know there are certain people that feel they have to personally attack and insult those they disagree with on this forum when it comes to movies.  However I feel like I should, so I will.

I did not like it.  This movie was the victim of Peter Jackson liking it too much and not being able to edit anything out.  It was, quite frankly, way too long and should have been an hour shorter.  They spent way too long on the ship as well as on the island, there was no reason to be on that island for as long as they were since it didn't do anything for the plot or story.  Yet Jackson felt it was necessary to keep everyone there just to kill redshirts off, and while it looked good, it was boring.

I'm glad they had the quick cut to New York, I would have walked out of the theater (like several others that were there when EUOL and I were watching it) if they would have spent another 30 minutes back.  The NYC scenes were fine, that was just long enough.

With how simplistic of a story that Kong has it couldn't support this long of a movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 12:53:57 AM »
Its a good point... movies today are just too long

3 hours is a lot of time to spend in seats... a lot of time.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 01:29:56 AM »
I agree with critics who say that these epic length movies are best viewed at home on DVD.

Also, it would have helped a lot had they cut out a lot of the trailers. A three hour movie cannot have fifteen minutes of trailers and commercials in front of it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 01:34:46 AM »
I know it's too early to tell how ticket sales are going to be, but Kong had a horrible Wensday with less then $10 million in ticket sales.  Though with it being 3 hours probaly cut down on some ticket sales.  The best opening Wensday, for reference, is Spiderman with $40 million.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/7954.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 01:37:26 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 04:03:14 AM »
For a wednesday opening it's not horrible, just not as good as they hoped. A lot depends on how well it performs over the weekend when people don't have work or school.

If Kong performs like Fellowship of the Ring, it won't have a record-breaking opening but will perform consistantly over the next few weeks.

Being over 3 hours, it is one of those movies you have to make some time to go see. And maybe practice your benchwarming skills.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 09:44:47 AM »
I've been debating whether or not to post my thoughts on this movie since I know there are certain people that feel they have to personally attack and insult those they disagree with on this forum when it comes to movies.  However I feel like I should, so I will.

I did not like it.  This movie was the victim of Peter Jackson liking it too much and not being able to edit anything out.  It was, quite frankly, way too long and should have been an hour shorter.  They spent way too long on the ship as well as on the island, there was no reason to be on that island for as long as they were since it didn't do anything for the plot or story.  Yet Jackson felt it was necessary to keep everyone there just to kill redshirts off, and while it looked good, it was boring.

I'm glad they had the quick cut to New York, I would have walked out of the theater (like several others that were there when EUOL and I were watching it) if they would have spent another 30 minutes back.  The NYC scenes were fine, that was just long enough.

With how simplistic of a story that Kong has it couldn't support this long of a movie.

I would like to personally attack and insult you for dissagreeing with me on this one.

But I won't.

Jerk.  8)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 09:45:12 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 01:32:04 PM »
The 3+ hour run time is the reason i haven't seen it yet. It's very hard to schedule a block of time that large into my husband's work schedule right now,  especially since we have to drive half and hour to get to the town with a theather with good seats and an updated sound system.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 04:40:41 AM »
My roommate loved the movie and from what I've heard, it's gorgeous. However, I think I'll wait for the dollar theater for this one. It's long, and it's just King Kong. With how much movies cost these days, I'd rather spend my money on something I haven't seen previous versions of.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 12:42:09 PM »
It's just King Kong.

That is why this movie won't get the audience it deserves.

I disagree that it was too long, but I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that my screening had no trailers or commercials? Add those in, and you guys had an extra 20 minutes or so that I didn't have to deal with.

Don't get me wrong: I certainly think there were scenes that could have been shorter, but taken as a whole the movie felt like a good length to me. I appreciate a movie that takes its time to set something up and pay it off properly.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2005, 12:55:21 PM »
Sadly from the looks of it Kong might end up being a write off, only $50 mill over the weekend out of a supposed 400+ million budget (200 mill for the movie, and if you believe IMDB 200 mill paycheck to Peter Jackson to direct plus all the marketing).

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 01:29:52 PM »
But it has made over 80 million outside of the US.

They were only expecting it to make 60 million in the US on it's opening weekend. So it hasn't performed badly, just a little below of expectations.

If it sales don't tank, it is very likely it will be a blockbuster movie. Technically, it already it is a blockbuster if you don't count how much it cost to make.

So it can't really be called a failure, but it may not be one of the top-ten highest grossing movies like many expected.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2005, 01:34:30 PM »
Actually BoxOfficeMojo had expectations at around $100 million, but it did have a 40% jump from Friday to Saturday which is a good thing.  Also I don't think many movie companies count foreign sales for whether or not it's a movie does well since many of them don't get much of that due to having to get local companies to distribute it.

I guess the real test is how well it'll be doing in 2 weeks.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 05:46:51 PM »
It was, quite frankly, way too long and should have been an hour shorter.

*Obligatory personal attack

It's just your attention span Sprig.  After three hours, if you didn't have your brother with you, you'd have trouble remembering which state you were in much less how to exit the theater.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 09:49:56 PM »
I guess the real test is how well it'll be doing in 2 weeks.

It should do very well on Christmas Eve and next week....

I mean it doesnt have too much to compete against right now.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2005, 10:09:53 PM »
It has Narnia to compete with. That's not 'nothing'. ;-)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch