Author Topic: Spirited Away and Laputa  (Read 1895 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Spirited Away and Laputa
« on: April 15, 2003, 03:46:51 PM »
Well I'm sitting home on this crappy day watching Laputa for the first time in English ;D.  But I have to say one thing about these two movies, there's a realy condesending introduction on both of these by John Lasseter from Pixar before each movie.  You can't get around them unless you go through scene selection.  What's the deal here?  Talk about Ego. >:(  And Pazu's voice is gay it sounds way to cartooine and un-natural.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Spirited Away and Laputa
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2003, 04:55:27 PM »
I've never seen Laputa, so I'll have to borrow it sometime. As long as they treat Spirited Away with respect, though, I'm fine.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 04:12:03 PM »
I just saw Spirited Away a week ago. It was amazing! It was just like watching a real fairy tale, though I got confused near the end, since it seemed to resolve too quickly, but then fairytales are like that sometimes I guess.

What is Laputa about? It's the same animator, right?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 06:13:13 PM »
I liked Laputa, but it was nowhere in the same league.  It betrays more 'old Miazaki.'  Was it me, or were several of the pirate characters very Lupin-esque.  Anyway, the story, animation, and conception weren't as good.  That still made it better than a lot of things--it's still a Miazaki.

As for the about question, the movie has some typical Miazaki 'Man vs Nature' themes mixed in with a adventure-style plot.  Two young teens (or younger?  not sure) have to discover the secret about a mysterious flying city from the past.  Kind of an Atlantis lost-technology stort of thing.  There are some pirates, lots of airships, and the requisite mysterious strangers and pasts.  In all, it's a bit more goofy than later Miazaki works, but not too bad.

As for the introduction, what a stupid thing to do!  They knew that most of these DVD's would be bought by fans who wouldn't care what some guy from Pixar had to say.  Who's inane idea was it to put those intros on, anyway?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 07:25:50 PM »
I have a one word answer to that question. Disney.

I'd complain more, but I am grateful that these Miazaki films are being released in the US.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 01:09:17 AM »
miazaki use to direct the Lupan TV series when it first started, he also did several of the movies (I've got one of them)  so that's probaly why you got that impression EUOL.

As for Laputa it deals with the floating Islands from Gullivars Travels.  It takes palce about 1000 years later and as with all Miazaki films takes place on an alternate reality of earth.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 01:12:17 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 08:49:29 AM »
You know, that was one of the really cool parts.  When the villan mentioned 'Sodom and Gamorah' at the end, I had to do a double take and say "Huh?"

As for Lupin, that's why I pointed out the similarity.  This movie felt like kind of a bridge between silly early Miaziaki and serious late Miazaki.  I didn't know about the Guillivar's Travels thing, though.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 08:40:38 PM »
I've got the sound track and in Japanese that's what it says on the cover.  "Laputa: The floating castle from Gullivers travels"