Author Topic: Random films you like  (Read 2148 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Random films you like
« on: May 29, 2003, 08:54:57 PM »
Post films you like, as they strike you.

1) Lawrence of Arabia. Great film, showing one of Britains more interesting war heros (although... the one who turned up for battle dressed only in a sheet sounds pretty damn interesting). The acting is incredible also.

2) Zulu! What a film. Featuring some incredible lines. Also a caine film.

3) Lock stock and two smoking barrels; Snatch. Lock... is the british answer to 'pulp fiction'. Snatch is it's superior kinda sequel. I keep thinking of starting a RPG based off these because of a article in Critical Miss.

4) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Wierd film, incredible fights, some flat out "what the hell are they talking about?" moments. Worth it for the fight in the dojo, but the fight in the restaurant is poor in the extreme.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Random films you like
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 10:52:06 PM »
I have really latched onto Frank Capra movies in the last few years, but not your everyday ones like It's a Wonderful Life (though that's great too). I have You Can't Take It With You with Jimmy Stewart and Lionel Barrymore (who is Drew Barrymore's grandpa or great-grandpa, can't remember). Great movie.

Another great classic that doesn't see a lot of air time is Gentleman's Agreement with Gregory Peck. He plays a journalist who pretends to be Jewish right after WWII to assess anti-Semitism. I think it was done in the late 40s/early 50s. Many of the actors in the movie got blacklisted for doing it. Interesting history to it, and a good movie to boot.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 11:09:59 PM »
Lawrence of Arabia is the first DVD I ever owned. i support this enjoyment

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 11:35:32 PM »
I'll have two to add to this(one may be highly disagreeable, but bleh to you!).

Nightmare Before Christmas- This movie is awesome. Hands down excellent.

Death to Smoochy- Not one of his best, but nonetheless it has Robin Williams in it. So I loved it. In fact anything with Robin Williams I'll love.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 01:16:06 AM »
How about Into the West--great little Irish film about a father and two sons.

As for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I will defend it's every moment with long and arduous arguments. But not here, because I don't want to start a fight.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 01:22:49 AM »
Looking at some of my collection, I do have a few odd DVDs:

A Knights Tale--just have to go with the whole wierdness of it.

Shadowlands--one strange depressing yet uplifting movie.

The Secret of Nymh--sort of the fantasy version of the science-fiction book. And it's niether Disney, nor Anime, animation.

The Hudsucker Proxy and O Brother Where Art Thou--just bizarre and cool at once.

I have Crouching Tiger...as well. Would like to have some of the othr films mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 01:24:05 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 08:31:20 AM »
Jackie Chan!  Operation Condor!  Crouching Tiger is a great movie, but there's something to be said for campy kung-fu that doesn't take itself too seriously.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 08:52:17 AM »
Yay! Jackie!

Mystery Men. It mocks everything I write about. Yet I love it.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 12:31:06 PM »
Here's a really odd one I love: Uncorked. The movie is sort of a comedy/drama/romance/surrealism film, but if you watch it with a completely open mind, I think just about anyone could enjoy it.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2003, 01:32:20 PM »
On the Waterfront -- best movie of all time, with one of the best monologues of all time.

What's up Doc?  -- Quality entertainment.  The pinnacle of 60's/70's zany comedy.

I'm recently really digging John Wayne stuff, although I saw Rio Grande the other day and thought it was pretty worthless.  The Sons of Katie Elder is awesome, though, as is True Grit.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2003, 08:29:54 PM »
5) The Quiet American. Just watched it. Very powerful film, with some excellent acting. It was just impressive, not for visual action, but for the sheer... power of its message, and the characterisation, barring the female lead, who was practically a non-entity. We know more about her sister at the end of the film than we do about her.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 03:00:24 PM »
I'm a huge fan of every and any Coen Brothers film...Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, Raising Arizona, etc.  Just great stuff.  

I'm also a fan of David Lynch, though I know most people here hated Muholland Dr.   I really like it.  It's one of those movies that just oozes atmorsphere.  Like Burton's Sleepy Hollow.  

I also finally picked up Ravenous for just under $7 today.  It is just a quirkly movie with a great soundtrack that I really enjoy.  Not great cinema, but fun.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 07:03:15 PM »
Not to get off track, but Ravenous is actually loosely (VERY loosely) based on the real story of Alfred Packer, the first and only person in United States history to be tried and convicted of cannibalism back in the 1890's.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 03:26:10 PM »
To be truely random:

1) Babett's Feast--I saw this movie for the first time in my high school French class because there is a spattering of French in it since Babett was originally a French chef. I'm not exactly sure why I like this movie so much. It probably has something to do with the fact that it is extremely "talky" no action sequences whatsoever, and it's foreign so liking it makes me feel educated. (Which I am by the way). But over all I love this movie because of the simple goodness and selflessness protrayed in the main characters.

2) My Father's Glory & My Mother's Castle (French)--Film version's of a French writer's early life. Again, the simple goodness of the characters, and the superb storytelling draws me to this movie.

3)Der Himmel Uber Berlin & Far Away, So Close (German)--Beautiful movies, though I'm still not sure I really understand them.

4) Lola Rennt (German)--You'd really have to see it to understand. The movie follows a teenage girl with outrageous red hair, trying to save her boyfriend, who has lost a large portion of money and must return it before the end of the day or get shot.

5) Casablanca (American)--Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman sigh Love this one. It's fun sometimes to watch the movies that made the cliches

Mustard--some good John Wayne to look for: The Angel and the Badman, though now that I think of it, it's probably more of a chick flick, still, worth watching. Also, Hatari!. The elephants, ostriches and Red Buttons are hilarious.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 10:49:23 PM »
Ah, Run Lola Run.  What a great film.  I never tire of watching this.  There are few films out there that have so much kinetic energy and leave you so exhausted at the end.

Good call, Mistress!