Author Topic: The Hulk  (Read 6590 times)

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: The Hulk
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 01:23:58 PM »
Well, my hackles haven't been raised, but I still disagree with the Lt. (Congrats on being engaged btw!) I took my finace to X2 on Friday and we also saw the Hulk trailer. Now I will not disagree with anyone that says he looks a little fake, however, I don't believe we really have the technology yet to cost-effectively present him any better. I think the movie's version of the origin story for Hulk will justify the radioactive looking skin. I think St. Ehlers is right, the Hulk is a monster, and he's also huge! I think the way he moves is pretty realistic, even if it does cause some people to laugh.

I've never been a great fan of comics, but this is the first movie based on a comic that I have been truly excited to see. This is due partially to the fact that I really liked Xmen and Spiderman, but mostly it is due to Ang Lee. I am of the opinion that he doesn't touch anything that doesn't come out sparkling in the end. I the Hulk will come out as a very well-rounded, fun movie, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 01:36:07 PM »
My thought on seeing the trailer was "Hey, he actually looks like the Hulk.  That's cool."  I was later chastized by my more comic-book-savvy friends, who apperantly all want more realism.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 03:53:47 PM »
I will say this first: it is a superhero movie and so (as the Saint more or less said in the X2 spoiler thread) you shouldn't think too much about little details.  I have come to see the logic in that.  I never go into a movie like that thinking academy award, but maybe there is a small part of me that wants that kind of thing to happen to a spec. fic. flick and which screams for perfection from these films.  Anyways, as I said about not thinking about it too much, I am now about to think about it too much.

I realized this a.m. that (and I am no zoo-physiology expert) perhaps the Hulk should move more like a gorilla, with his arms acting as quasi-legs at times.  It would follow the pattern: humans, while smaller, remain upright, gorillas (much larger and wider) are 3/4 upright so to speak.  When you get to be too big for that it seems that 4 legs outright is the best strategy (elephant) or two huge legs and two relatively insignificant appendages (t-rex.)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2003, 04:19:24 PM »
My cat is tiny, yet it uses its 'arms' to walk with.

It's not size - its your... i'm not sure. Bone structure? Whether or not the hulk has a bone structure that shifts into gorilla is another question.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2003, 04:33:09 PM »
true, true

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2003, 10:59:06 PM »
Especially the recent capable of duking it out with Superman Hulk

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2003, 11:31:18 PM »
You mean the Hulk isn't being played by a real actor thats been painted green?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2003, 03:59:55 PM »
I tend to disbelieve that the Hulk could take Superman. Superman moves planets, the Hulk throws tanks around. I don't really see how that compares.

Thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 07:07:16 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2003, 06:15:19 PM »
I can move plants too.  But, then again, I always knew I was on the same level as Superman.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2003, 06:20:30 PM »
Have you ever thought about what it would look like to move a planet? Superman starts doing a handstand, and then all of a sudden your planet moves out of orbit. The cartoons never show that.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2003, 07:10:41 PM »
And yes . . . that would be the English major mispelling planets.

I don't think I would notice if my planet fell out of orbit. Unless of course the moon started to get bigger like in Majora's Mask.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2003, 07:28:15 PM »
I never would have thought of that, Fell.  That's just plain old wacky and I haven't had a more amusing thought all day.  Thanks!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2003, 07:41:15 PM »
Ha!  No fair correcting your spelling error to make my pun meaningless!  I put a lot of thought into making fun of people.

I'm so misunderstood.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2003, 11:02:28 PM »
To clarify, there *is* a crossover where Hulk goes toe to toe with Supes. Supes win, but it was an extended punch out. And he didn't totally trash Hulk with impunity. Supes isn't the invulnerable strength, remember, Doomsday pounded him to death (literally).

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2003, 12:30:14 PM »
Feels sorry for EUOL

Okay, I'm over it.

Anyway, I guess it's okay when you look at it in that light, but I still think Super strength should be able to take out Incredible strength more quickly.

My favorite cross-over was Superman and Batman.

"Kick over the table."