Author Topic: review: Speed Racer  (Read 6735 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Speed Racer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:07:06 AM »
Was rather disappointed in this review, I saw Speed Racer over the weekend and think it's the best movie I've seen in quite some time.

I guess it's one of those love it or hate it movies but I loved it and think that it's so much better then IronMan and Price Caspian (both of which I've seen) which were good movies but both were things i've seen so many times and neither tried to do anything different for their genre.

Speed on the other hand was amazing, I'd never seen anything quite like it and could easily watch it several more times while the other movies out this month I'm pretty indifferent towards seeing again.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:05:25 AM »
Was rather disappointed in this review, I saw Speed Racer over the weekend and think it's the best movie I've seen in quite some time.

I guess it's one of those love it or hate it movies but I loved it and think that it's so much better then IronMan and Price Caspian (both of which I've seen) which were good movies but both were things i've seen so many times and neither tried to do anything different for their genre.

Speed on the other hand was amazing, I'd never seen anything quite like it and could easily watch it several more times while the other movies out this month I'm pretty indifferent towards seeing again.

Well, Sprigg, you are the only one who feels that way, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a seat. And you can even change seats as people get up to walk out (which they certainly did when I saw it, even though people paid 10 bucks a ticket for IMAX.). I will acknowledge that this movie has a vocal cult fanbase. These people are so far in denial, they are in De-Suez.).  But to each his own. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm surprised this review got posted - I still have a review for "Prince Caspian" (which I loved, and I have seen three times) and "Indiana Jones" coming (seen it once already, and seeing it again  tomorrow.). At this point, "Speed Racer" is so close to leaving theaters it seems a bit redundant to post this. But I had a lot of fun writing the review, so I'm glad it got on here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 01:43:08 PM by Hammerforge »
"Iwouldn't tell a mountain dwarf where hisbeard was in the snow."

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
I'm surprised this review got posted - I still have a review for "Prince Caspian" (which I loved, and I have seen three times) and "Indiana Jones" coming (seen it once already, and seeing it again  tomorrow.). At this point, "Speed Racer" is so close to leaving theaters it seems a bit redundant to post this. But I had a lot of fun writing the review, so I'm glad it got on here.

They will get posted this week. I put it on because we could always use new content on the front page  ;D
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
This does seem to be one of those polarizing films. Two of my fellow editors walked out after half an hour, while another loved it. I'm mildly curious about the movie, but not enough to risk $10 on it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:35:00 AM »
This does seem to be one of those polarizing films. Two of my fellow editors walked out after half an hour, while another loved it. I'm mildly curious about the movie, but not enough to risk $10 on it.

Itr's definitely a love it or hate it movie - there's no room for middle ground.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:36:15 AM »

They will get posted this week. I put it on because we could always use new content on the front page  ;D

Cool. Thanks - I hated to see the "Speed racer" review go to waste.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
Why did they walk out? Was it for content or were they just bored? I've never personally had to walk out of a movie, and I can't see myself doing it unless I was seriously offended.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
Not for content. They were bored and they thought it was terrible.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:55:53 AM »
Not for content. They were bored and they thought it was terrible.

Ookla is absolutely right. I don't walk out on movies, but even though I paid $10 bucks, I would have if I wasn't with friends. This is AN ORDEAL to get through. At 2 hours and 15 minutes, it is way too long for not only a kiddie movie, but an exceptionally juvenile one at that. I felt like I needed a tranfusion when it was over.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:08:43 AM »
The only movie I've seen people walk out of, and wanted to walk out of myself, was Peter Jackson's King Kong.  I think about 2 hours into the movie, when they were still on the island, I was half-asleep and about 20-30 people had left.  Jackson's a great director but that movie needed an editor.

I'm glad to see both Howard Taylor and EUOL agree with me on Speed even the part about it being better then Ironman--which shows I'm not completely crazy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »
The only movie I've seen people walk out of, and wanted to walk out of myself, was Peter Jackson's King Kong.  I think about 2 hours into the movie, when they were still on the island, I was half-asleep and about 20-30 people had left.  Jackson's a great director but that movie needed an editor.

I'm glad to see both Howard Taylor and EUOL agree with me on Speed even the part about it being better then Ironman--which shows I'm not completely crazy.

Never heard on either of those people. King Kong was a MASTERPEICE, but I will freely admit that there are plenty of people who were bored by it.  But ROGER FREAKING EBERT AGREES WITH ME.

But "Speed Racer: better than "Iron Man."? Pshaw. It wasn't even as good as the first "Fantastic Four."

You are not crazy, though. You just have a specific tastes, and a different opinion than me or many other people, which is cool. I write what I think on here, and you sahould do the same. It would boring if we all  thought the same way. Nothin' but love for ya, Sprigg. Nothin' but love.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:13:47 PM by Hammerforge »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 05:38:42 AM »
You haven't heard of EUOL? As in Brandon Sanderson? He wrote a few books that I hear are pretty good. You should check them out. (Plus Howard Tayler writes Schlock Mercenary, but I haven't gotten into that.)

I will probably see this movie someday on DVD. Going to movies is kind of a chore with a baby in the house, and I think I would rather watch Indy.

Hammerforge

• Level 2
  • Reorx's beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
You haven't heard of EUOL? As in Brandon Sanderson? He wrote a few books that I hear are pretty good. You should check them out. (Plus Howard Tayler writes Schlock Mercenary, but I haven't gotten into that.)

No, I actually haven't. Sorry - I'll look him up on wikipedia.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
Sorry, my reply was facetious. I assumed pretty much everyone who visits this forum knows who Brandon Sanderson is, since he's one of the site's founders and his forum is hosted here. But if you just surfed in recently for something else entirely, welcome! (If the Wheel of Time series is something you're familiar with, Brandon was chosen to finish the final book after Robert Jordan's death. News of that brought him quite a few more readers, some of whom are now analyzing the Mistborn books to death over in his subforum.)