Author Topic: Matrix Reloaded ****Spoilers****  (Read 2800 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Matrix Reloaded ****Spoilers****
« on: May 15, 2003, 03:11:28 PM »
Tage and I saw it last night, and we agree that it is simply awesome. The fights and chases are incredible, the new revelations are amazing, and the new information regarding the world of the movie (Zion, rogue programs, the nature of the matrix, the nature of the One) are wild and exactly what I was looking for. The dialogue and pop philosophy are about on par with the first movie, so make your own judgements on that. In general I have to say that I think I like this one better than the first--it didn't show me brand new effects, but it showed me depth of character and setting that the first one lacked. An incredible movie.

It is rated R for two reasons: first, there is a sex scene between Neo and Trinity that doesn't show anything other than facial expressions, but it's intercut with shots of sweaty dancing people and leaves no room for interpretation. Second, one guy gets shot in the head. If you ever watch CSI, you've seen more gruesome stuff than this. On the whole, the movie is less bloody and has far less swearing than the first movie (the latter because Cypher's not in it).

If I have a complaint, it's that a couple of the fight scene graphics were a little too CG. The scene where Neo fights a zillion Agent Smiths had a couple of shots that looked pretty fake and video game-y, but given the nature of the matrix I suppose that makes sense in some kind of cosmic way.

I guess I haven't really given to many spoilers yet, so, um...sorry.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Matrix Reloaded ****Spoilers****
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 03:16:31 PM »
Actualy fell that fight scene with neo and the agents is 100% CG.  The actors faces were just maped onto a model then it was animated frame by frame.  So there's are reason it feels like a video game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 03:16:42 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 03:35:40 PM »
That's kind of what I was saying--you could tell it was all CG just be watching it. It looked and felt very fake, just because there's a reason for it to look fake doesn't make it better. They could have done a better job adding in the actors faces after the animation was done, I think.

Even with that, though, the fight was great and the movie was incredible.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 07:58:02 PM »
So, I just saw it for the second time, and I have to say that it makes about little sense as the first time. I have no clue which side the Oracle is on. I'm fairly certain the rogue Smiths are unwanted by the Architect and the rest of the controllers of the Matrix. However, they seem to have some sort of non-aggression pact, since they neither hinder nor help each other when the come in contact. The big question is this: why did the Smith who took over a real human help out the ones who were about to be ambushed by Zion's forces? Theoretically, his only real goal is to destroy Neo and the rest of his prison.

Hope those were enough spoilers for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 12:42:58 PM by Tage »
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 02:21:20 AM »
They don't have a complete non-aggression pact, because Smith absorbed at least one Agent.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 03:50:21 AM »
Okay, got back from the movie a little while ago and here are my thoughts.  

1) Great action movie!  Lot's of fun and furious action.  Overall I really enjoyed it, thought it was not what I was expecting at all.

2)It had a very different feel than the original.  There was no creepy sense of mystery that the first one held (thought that would be difficult to do given what we now know).  I also thought that the lack of a clear, personified enemy hurt the film. Agent Smith personified the authority of the Matrix in the first film.  In this one we have lots of minor villains, but nothing we can really focus on.

3) I'm moving to Zion.  On the brink of disaster they throw a wild orgy/rave.  I want to live there.

4) Okay, I'm not easily lost in movies and few movies can actively surprise me because I have a knack for deducing plots.  But the whole scene with the architect went a little quick for me.  Is this what everyone else got from it:

There have been 5 Matricies before this one, each created by the Architect and the Oracle.  Though they tried their best, a small part of the population would never accept the programming and would rebel.  Instead of leaving this to chance, they have a human choose a number of individuals who will wake up and find Zion.  This human is also given some special codiing which makes it more powerful, giving the resistance something to believe in and otherwise occupying their time in fruitless fighting while the machines continue their rule.  The One always finds his way back to the source where he bascally chooses either to reboot the system or let the system die.

Why did the machines give him this choice?  Someone help me out here.  I know its mentioned that it was necessary, but do they say why. Why does the system need to reboot?

5) Whatever special code is part of Neo, it has rubbed off on Agent Smith.  Both have some degree of control outside of the Matrix.

6)Last movie, it was pretty blatant that the reality we see isn't reality.  This movie did the same thing, but much more subtely.  Everything we thought true at the end of the first movie was slowly robbed from us.  It wasn't until after the movie that I realized this in full.

Did anyone stay around for the Revolutions preview after the credits?  Neat stuff.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 03:51:09 AM by Mr_Pleasington »

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 03:20:58 PM »
Never mind number 4.  I was just talking to some friends and it turned out I missed some stuff in the Architect scene.  I got it all worked out now :)

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 01:40:36 PM »
Hey, if you've got #4 all worked out, please share. The nearest I could get is that they need the One to go to the source so that they can include his inherent build-up of flaws (the combination of which make him powerful in the Matrix) so they can design a better Matrix the next time. Is that what you got out of it?

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 02:13:40 PM »
The first Matrix was built by the Architect only, not the Oracle. It was too perfect and man rejected it (a strong Garden of Eden reference). The Oracle showed up and taught the Architect how to incorporate essential flaws into the Matrix in order to jive with man's own imperfection. The problem with this is that the imperfections of man build up over time and pollute the Matrix, so it needs to be reset every now and then. The One shows up and makes his choice: reboot the system or let it die. Why does he have to choose? Because this is a Garden of Eden scenario, and that's how. It's a surprisingly Mormon interpretation, in fact: the Architect, as a perfect being, cannot create an imperfect world, so he sets up a logical conundrum and lets man choose. The simple act of free choice introduces variation into the system (also known as imperfection, also known as a discernible difference between good and evil). The fact that the One then establishes an Adam and Eve (and friends, for the sake of a deeper genetic pool) to repopulate Zion only cements the idea.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 02:53:54 PM »
Okay, here's my take:

The Architect builds 5 Matricies and they are too perfect, yadda yadda yadda.  Eventually he and the Oracle build the 6th.  99% of the population accept this Matrix, but there will always be 1% that do not.  Also, there is an anamoly in the Matrix that somehow creates The One.  Instead of letting this 1% do what they please once they wake up, the machines take another level of control.  They wake up a certain number of at risk individuals and have them found Zion.  They have The One do this (remember what Morpheus said in the first movie: he woke up the first of us).  Now the humans will build Zion, attack the Matrix, and free others.  The machines put up a token resistance, but its all planned for.  Eventually things will come to a head and Zion has to be destroyed because the humans are getting too powerful.  This is when The One pops in and is given the choice to save himself or humanity and the process starts over.  In this sixth Matrix, there have been 5 previous "Ones" and all of them have chosen to save the species. Neo didn't.

So, it's all a manner of control.  The Prophecy, the Rebellion, The One, all are brought about by the machines so that the humans will rebel in such a way that the machines are prepared for.

Now, though, not only has The One not chosen to save humanity, but we have the anamoly that is Agent Smith.  Unpredicatbility will save humanity.

That's my take.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2003, 02:55:31 PM by Mr_Pleasington »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 03:05:53 PM »
I agree with everything, but I'm not sure about the number of Matrices. You say that the first five were too perfect, and that the sixth has had a cycle of Ones and reboots. I interpreted it the other way, that the first Matrix was too perfect and that each One/reboot cycle is considered a new Matrix. I can definitely see your version of it, though, and it answers some questions that mine doesn't. There are explanations for both, though.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 03:16:36 PM »
I mised the part about the Matricies on my first watch.  Here's what I'm pretty sure of:

1) The other Matricies were still too perfect, but getting progressively better.

2) The sixth is the current Matrix and every version of the One existed in this Matrix.

And there actually weren't any reboots.  At least not since the Sixth Matrix.  Basically, the real world gets rebooted.  Zion gets too powerful, the machines reboot it by destroying it, and some new folks are picked from the Matrix to start over...led by The One.  

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 04:01:49 PM »
Actually, that's an interpretation I hadn't considered. I, like Fell, assumed that each Matrix had a One, and that each one got reset as the One entered the Source.

Your interpretation has some interesting assertions though, Pleasington. What I really want is the Architects speech in written form, so I can analyze it slowly.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 04:51:36 PM »
I also need to see the movie again, preferably without the projector stopping right in the middle of the Architect scene. That really threw me off.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 05:18:39 PM »
No doubt!

It comes out of nowhere with more information than you can shake a stick at!