Author Topic: Wizards of the Coast Stores Goin Out of Buisness  (Read 1335 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Wizards of the Coast Stores Goin Out of Buisness
« on: January 17, 2004, 03:53:13 PM »
Thats right and their misfortune could be your bonus. As a result of some pretty dumb choices Hasboro inc has manged to run their flagship games stores into the ground. (THATS BAD) However their misfortune will end up passing the savings on to you as everything in the store (and I mean everything) is discounted 20-40%.
D&D books, Heroclicks, Puzzles, board games, dice, console games ... you get the picture. Today I purchased the Indie Heroclicks starter set, Settlers of Catan Travel size, Survivor trading card games a Greatful Dead Bear and some dice for 45 bucks.

So buy my pretties BUY!!!
AHhahahah ha ha ha ha ha heh.

Just thought you'd want to know.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Wizards of the Coast Stores Goin Out of Buisne
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 04:48:27 PM »
Store locater! We needs' a store locater!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
Ok did that part myself. But here's my underlying question. Does this mean that all WotC products will be taking a price cut? Or only the stuff in those stores?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
Just those stores. WotC isn't going out of business, just the corporation that runs their retail stores.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 06:15:48 PM »
Wizards of the Coast to Close Retail Stores
Sunday December 28, 9:00 pm ET

RENTON, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 28, 2003--Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., (NYSE:HAS - News), announced today it will be closing its chain of retail stores, including Wizards of the Coast stores and the affiliated The Game Keeper stores. The company has retained Gordon Brothers Group, LLC of Boston to assist with the closure, which should be completed within approximately 60 days.
The move out of the retail store business will enable a deeper focus on Wizards' core business of game design, company officials said. Wizards' trading card games and role-playing games -- from Magic: The Gathering® to Dungeons & Dragons® -- are among the biggest brands in the hobby game industry.

Wizards of the Coast, Inc., is a worldwide leader in the trading card game and tabletop role-playing game categories, and a leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products. The company holds an exclusive patent on trading card games (TCGs) and their method of play and produces the premier trading card game, Magic: The Gathering, among many other trading card games and family card and board games. Wizards is also a leading publisher of role-playing games, such as Dungeons & Dragons, and publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers.

For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at www.wizards.com.

Wizards of the Coast, Magic: The Gathering, and Dungeons & Dragons are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast Inc. (C)2003 Wizards.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2004, 06:17:58 PM »
The store manager in Pentagon City was telling me that the chains sales tanked right after they stopped carring third party rpg's a year ago.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 06:18:15 PM by ElJeffe »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »
actually, when I went to the Springfield one a few days ago they were explicitly clear that several of their own products were NOT on sale. The only discounted Star Wars book, for example, was the PRE-revision copy of the core rules (how stupid is that?).

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2004, 11:18:24 PM »
From everything I can glean, this is voluntary closure rather than a "we screwed up" closure. Other stores are more than willing to carry their games, so maintaining their own stores is essentially an unnecessary overhead cost. I could be wrong, however.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »
HMMM At Pentagon city everything was discounted... even WOTC Stuff... odd.