Author Topic: The most expensive RPG book  (Read 1631 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
The most expensive RPG book
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:37:28 PM »
Monte Cooks' Ptolus clocks in at 672 pages for a total price of $120.  This is the setting that the original 3e D&D designers used while creating the new system.

http://www.ptolus.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?ptolus
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: The most expensive RPG book
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:12:34 AM »
Sure, if you believe RPG designers.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 03:36:44 AM »
Monte Cooks' Ptolus clocks in at 672 pages for a total price of $120.  This is the setting that the original 3e D&D designers used while creating the new system.

http://www.ptolus.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?ptolus

I've followed this and the old "Celebrity Gaming Table" WOTC articles for a while.  They might have used some concepts in testing the rules, but it wasn't the one big test setting he's claiming now.  At least from the old reports.   What makes me doubt it even more is the huge number of variants he has in that game.

Just sayin'.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 04:31:28 AM »
I assumed that if they had such a flushed out test setting that Wizards would have owned it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
One thing I noticed is it seems like the designers use more house rules and stuff a lot more than any D&D game I have played.  One even said they are using a 20-level spell system, that is a pretty big house rule change.  So I would believe them to have a lot of varients and such while playing and playtesting.  Not only does it make sense from a playtesting standpoint, but they have a track record IMO of using more house rules than the average D&D gamer.  I would also guess the average group to have around 3-5 house rules, and I would also guess the exact house rules to change from campaign to campaign.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:37:12 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.