Author Topic: Best food lately  (Read 17949 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Best food lately
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
My husband cooks once per year. That's the holiday candies he makes at Christmas. Otherwise, he doesn't cook.

My brother-in-law, who served his mission in Italy, is a great cook. He makes lasagna, pizza, and it's all soooo good. We invited them over recently and he made these gourmet pizzas for us to eat. I liked the sausage and potato one the best. I don't think a single one of them had tomato pizza sauce on them. They were divine.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2006, 01:57:56 PM »
Get em to do some slow cooker cooking and compliment them on how the food tastes. Most people dont like cooking because they feel a bit intimidated by it or overwhelmed. A lot of times cleanup is an issue. Help em out and make cooking a family thing and you'll find they'll like it more.
Actually Im writing up a slow cooker article for my Gaming Chef column with a few recipes. Slow cookers are great because they create great food with little prep.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
We've been married for 9 years, and if I haven't gotten him to help with cooking in that time, I don't think a little slow cooker experimentation now is going to help. *Sigh*

He does make truly fantastic orange chocolate truffles, though.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
My husband thinks that if I'm cooking, why would he need to help. It's like pulling teeth to get him to just grate some cheese. And when he does cook I offer to show him and help him cook something harder (you know, harder than Ramen or Mac & Cheese), and even then. I have shown him how to brown ground beef, and thaw out meat, so he does know that now, but he is very averse to cooking. And I know it's not the clean up thing because he wouldn't have think about cleaning up afterwards. It wouldn't cross his mind. Even when I was sick a few weeks ago I had to beg him just to make me something, anything. It's so frustrating!

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2006, 07:35:13 PM »
Get men to cook can be difficult because many men fill uncomfortable in the kitchen. Some women are very possessive of their kitchen (like my wife) and prevent their husband from cooking in order to avoid eating some truly horrible food.

Now, I have to admit that I am one of those few men who like to cook. But usually my wife cooks because she is a vastily superior cook and I usually don't have the time. Still, I have made it clear that there are some dishes that I prepare. My wife says that these means that the whole family must eat poorly (because daddy is cooking) but I'll never get better unless I'm allowed to cook.

By the way, my ginger pork turned out just fine today even if it wasn't as good as my wife's version.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2006, 07:42:49 PM »
My wife does the majority of the cooking, though I do almost anything related to dough--she hates baking, and I love it, so it's a nice split.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2006, 07:44:15 PM »
Posted by: Tink
Posted on: Today at 2:05pm

My husband thinks that if I'm cooking, why would he need to help. It's like pulling teeth to get him to just grate some cheese. And when he does cook I offer to show him and help him cook something harder (you know, harder than Ramen or Mac & Cheese), and even then. I have shown him how to brown ground beef, and thaw out meat, so he does know that now, but he is very averse to cooking. And I know it's not the clean up thing because he wouldn't have think about cleaning up afterwards. It wouldn't cross his mind. Even when I was sick a few weeks ago I had to beg him just to make me something, anything. It's so frustrating!

I pity you, however, if he can only do Ramen you may not suffer as bad if you can get something other than the American Top Ramen (note: I'm organizing a campaign to have the FDA label Top Ramen as not fit for human consumption and I think Kraft Mac & Cheese could get added to the campaign). Korean, Japanese or Chinese ramen is way better. I prefer the Korean Shin Ramen myself. If he can do ramen then you can teach him to cook a little more by getting him to chop vegetables and add them to the ramen along with cooking an egg in the ramen.

If this tip (or the excellent slow cooker tip) doesn't works, force him to take a cooking class.

A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2006, 07:47:51 PM »
I must just be very lucky--Chris cooks just as much as, and often more often than, I do. We both enjoy cooking, and we're both pretty good at it (MsFish says that we have a combined superpower--making anything we cook taste good :) ).  

We both like to experiment and make up new recipes, too.

I think this is because both of our mothers didn't really know how to cook when they got married (our fathers taught them), and both sets of parents made sure their offspring could cook so we wouldn't have problems later on.

That said, Chris made some killer cheese enchiladas yesterday, and I learned how to make a Hot Milk cake that seems like it'd be perfect for part of a strawberry shortcake.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2006, 07:57:16 PM »
That's it. Jobs or no jobs, you're moving up here ASAP.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2006, 03:52:26 AM »
I have to agree with Jeffe, slow cooker is the way to go.  I've been using a slow cooker cookbook for years with great effect.  10 minutes of prep, set it, forget it.   8 hours later you have a meal.

My wife and I try to divide everything fairly evenly though she does the majority of the cooking (at least until grilling seaons kicks back in).  We both work full time, no reason one person should get saddled with all the work.

And a little known fact about me... I was "Homemaker of the Year" in seventh grade. Since I was neither in band nor choir I had to take home ec.  Highest GPA in the class won "Homemaker of the Year."  So I had to recieve this award on awards day in front of the entire middle school.  Now, it's hilarious.  Then, it seemed the end of the world.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2006, 08:58:13 AM »
I would have called in sick

I like to cook. BUt I despise cleaning. That ends up with me making an awful lot of bread, but my wife cooking most meals.

However, I tend to be the one who does breakfast.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2006, 01:19:55 PM »
I also love to cook, but I have to have the time. And I hate making a huge mess for myself, so I prefer to cook for at least one other person. The perfect husband for me will be one who is willing to clean up if I cook the meal--as well as take a couple of turns a week and cook for me when I don't feel well.

I feel bad for Tink. Try the Korean Ramen on your husband like Lost suggested. It's really good, and then at least you'll get *something* to eat when your languishing away.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »
Thanks for everyone's sympathy. I guess it's just one of those things. I think there are things that all of us don't like doing. For some it's dishes, others it's laundry, and others cooking. I like cooking okay, but it's deciding what to cook and having all the ingredients that bugs (plus the cleanup).

Lately, I've actually gone to having protein shakes for dinner. I will still sometimes make food for my husband because he needs more calories than me, but one cup of milk plus protein mix and I'm full for the rest of the night. Plus since it's only like 220 calories, I can have a treat too, if I so choose (although I have to say, the protein really curbs your appetite, so you don't really even desire treats). It's been really great cause they're fast, easy and I don't have to think of what to make. And since my husband actually likes things like Ramen, canned foods (soups, vegetables, and such), mac & cheese, etc., I just cook him something easy like that along with a protein shake for him and I'm done. We just started this a week and a half ago and it's going great.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2006, 01:49:19 PM »
I've also discovered in recent years that rice is the key to happiness.  It takes 10 minutes to make 2 servings and you can combine it with *anything* and it becomes a meal.

Chicken? Check.

Smoked Sausage and Salsa? Check.

Red Beans? Check.

Mmmmm....rice!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2006, 02:19:57 PM »
My mom survived on rice and catsup in college when money was tight. This, though, does not constitute a meal.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"