Author Topic: Bye-Bye CleanFlicks  (Read 7986 times)

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
Re: Bye-Bye CleanFlicks
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »
It's a very tough subject.  I can completely sympathize with Soderberg and the other directors.  When my pulisher wanted to take things out of my book, because some peopel might find them offensive, I had a hard time doing it.  They were minor pieces, but I felt they added to the story.  I can only imagine the time and effort that these artists put into their work, to get their movie just right.  And to think that somebody else is coming along and cutting it up just because they don't want to watch parts has to be painful.   That is why I said I could argue both sides of the story. I honestly can see their point.

But I'm a libertarian, and tend to fall on the 'more choice is better' side of things.  More information, more choice...  So I would ask again, from a purely philosophical standpoint, how is your viewing of Titanic harmed if somebody else somewhere else is taking out the breasts so they don't have to watch them?  You still get the complete movie.  How is your experience harmed by the way they choose to watch?

There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and it's goign to get sticky somewhere in the middle.  
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2006, 07:44:06 PM »
By the way, a good writeup on the opinion can be found here.

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2006/07/court_nix_clean.htm

And the opinion in it's entirety can be found here:

http://www.joegratz.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/CleanFlicksDistCtOpinion.pdf

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 02:31:07 AM »
Funny FMB

Really, we have too many abbreviation that start with the letters FM. I thinkg FMJ and FMB need to change their names due to the fact that I've been around and had my name FMP longer than FMJ, and because if you think about it FMB isn't really a sensible abbreviation.

Aslo I see the point made about my comment, though I wasn't talking about library books. Maybe CleanFlicks should just change thier company into one that makes software that edit the movies after already being bought. Then the movie guys don't have anything to complain about.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 02:33:37 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2006, 12:05:34 PM »
Not a sensible abreviation?  It pronounced "Fumb".  Sounds perfectly sensible to me...  :)

Or you can just call me Fire.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:06:09 PM by Firemeboy »