Departments > Music

Heavy Metal

(1/5) > >>

EUOL:
SE and my discussion about the origins of the genre has got me thinking.  Really, what's the difference between metal and hard rock?  I mean, is it just in the attitude?  What separates Metallica from, say, Foo Fighters (whom I've often heard refered to as 'Hard Rock')?

fuzzyoctopus:
And then what separates metal from industrial? My husband claims it's distortion that makes industrial, but I don't think it's that easy.

I would say metal is ... heavier on guitars?

EUOL:
My only practical knowledge of Industrial comes from NIN.  Though I avoid Trent Resnor whenever possible, I have (unfortunately) been forced to listen to some NIN.  Therefore, I view Industrial as a kind of evil techno/rock mix.

fuzzyoctopus:
NIN, (according to industrial fans) is not in any way a good sample of what industrial music is like.  It is mainstream also (gasp horror) and is considered by to be about as industrial as something like the Spin Doctors would be considered hard rock.

Try some Chemlab or some Pop Will Eat Itself, both of which I have been very impressed with.  My husband's favorite band is Sister Machine Gun, which is ok, but is not musical enough for me (I need music that I can sing along with).  You might like some of it, I think PWEI is brilliant music.  Could easily lend you some CDs since I married into a whole lot of music...

But techno/rock is a good description of it I think.  But it's not necessarily evil, it's just dear Trent that's evil.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
what about Rob Zombie? Is he industrial?

I've always thought of Industrial as like the heavy metal of techno.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version