Departments > Music

wav to mp3?

(1/4) > >>

stacer:
I'm the farthest thing from an expert you could find on this. I've copied some of my own cds to my laptop so I don't have to carry all my cds around with me when I'm at school, and I know that mp3s use less space, right? Is there a way of converting from .wav to .mp3? A program or something? If it's a program, would you guys recommend one in particular?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock:
I like www.Goldwave.com . It lets you rip them from the CD straight to mp3 and you can set the quality from stereo to mono, and from the lowest to 310 Khz or whatever the frequency is. It isn't free, but there are *ahem* ways around it that I've taken. If you want to quandridize this route just give me a ring at the not-so snail mail address. If not well then, you have a toll limit and it stops you at $1.00. Each action is $0.01. blah blah blah, use it, try it, love it. Very User Friendly. And there are other functions for the more perverse.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
I have a program called Cool Edit that will do the conversion, but yeah, it's a lot easier to rip them straight to mp3. Freeware like MusicMatch would pull it off. I have another program that's simpler than MM too, but I can't remember the name. I'll pull it up when I'm at home and let you know how to get it.

JP Dogberry:
As an audiophile, there is only one way to get a perfect sounding MP3. Find a program (Do a google search, I'm lazy) called EAC, or Exact Audio Copy. Use this to extract the wav from the cds, but if you've already done it, it doesn't matter,  this is just the way to get the highest quality ones. While configuring EAC (You need to) it should mention a site to get a program called LAME.exe. Get this, and follow all the instructions. EAC will rip the track, automatically open LAME and convert to a perfect sounding MP3. It uses variable bitrate, and it seriously works well. It's also free.

So Exact Audio Copy, Lame. Do a search, and you should also come up with soem good tutorial sites, and learn a lot while you're at it.

stacer:
Thanks for the info guys. I went with the free one, the one Jam suggested. It's working really well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version