Author Topic: Your supreme courts really do suck  (Read 7813 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Your supreme courts really do suck
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2005, 06:38:26 PM »
This is interesting.  When Ginsberg and Breyer were confirmed in the early nineties (both liberal judges, nominated by a Democrat president), there wasn't a huge fight.  During Ginsberg's nomination hearings, Strom Thurmond, the ranking Republican, said the following:

"In preparing these questions or any others I may propound during the hearings, if you feel they are inappropriate to answer, will you speak out and say so....  I will not press you to answer any that you feel are inappropriate."

In those same hearings, Joseph Biden, the Democrat chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said:
"You not only have a right to choose what you will answer and not answer, but in my view you should not answer a question of what your view will be on an issue that clearly is going to come before the court in 50 forms probably, over your tenure on the court."

Honestly, do you think anyone Bush nominates will receive the same courtesies?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2005, 08:59:47 PM »
In a word? No.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2005, 10:21:10 PM »
Yes, there is some mud-slinging coming.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.