Author Topic: review: The Hunter's Blades  (Read 1408 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: The Hunter's Blades
« on: July 13, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=1111

It makes a lot of references back to the old material, which preserves a lot of continuity and a lot of the character that fans have come to like, but there are other problems. Kinda good, kinda bad.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: The Hunter's Blades
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 04:34:48 AM »
Not to change subjects but do you really see Salvatore as a "professional fan-fic" author?  That kinda seams like a backhanded complement.  Especially to him since he has a lot of creative control with the setting, I see him as one of the people working on creating/developing the world.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 10:05:43 AM »
I called him an author of "professional semi-fan fiction." which has an imiportant semantic difference. Maybe it's a backhanded complement, but it conveys my intention quite well. Forgotten Realms books (even Salvatore's) have the feel of the "fan fiction" series writing books I've read for D&D, Star Wars, Star Trek, and so on. It's ok if that's what you like, I don't mean it to be insulting. But I don't think it's an inaccurate description of the subject matter.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:18:56 AM »
So you're basically saying any author who writes in a setting they didn't create (excluding versions of our world) are writing a form of Fan-fic?  I still don't buy that, arguably there are paid authors like that, but I don't see most that way.  Too me there's not much difference between say Salvatore and someone writing a TV episode plot for Star Trek (or any show for that matter.  Friends, ER, Buffy).

Though what would be intresting is to hear what certain editors at a certain publisher that happens to release this stuff thinks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 10:21:27 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:12:34 AM »
no, that's not what I said.
I said that they FEEL LIKE other fan fiction books. It can be justifiable or not. It may be respectable. I'd do it if I got offered money to write it. I did not say that this was a bad thing. I did not disparage it. I just said what it feels like.

to reiterate: I said it was "SEMI-" fan fiction. That does not say it IS fan fiction. Nor does it say that fan fiction is bad. I'm not trying to malign anything here.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 11:34:03 AM »
Spriggan hit the nail on the head, in my opinion: any author writing a novel for a setting (or characters, though that doesn't apply with Salvatore) that he or she did not create is writing a form of fan-fiction. That's how fan-fiction is largely defined in my mind. If you want to attach a negative label to that (i.e., all fan-fiction is bad) then we have a different idea of what fan-fiction is.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:47:15 AM »
Though what would be intresting is to hear what certain editors at a certain publisher that happens to release this stuff thinks.

You talkin' to me? Did you rub my lamp?

Bob created his setting, though it is based off other settings--isn't that right? (I don't work with him directly.) I do think there's a difference between fan fiction (fiction written by an amateur based in another author's world) and quality fiction set in a world based on an intellectual property owned by a company that they're hired to write for. If I understand Sprig right, he's saying that shared-world series fiction is like writing for a TV series, and I would say it's probably pretty similar. Someone creates the world, and a certain number of authors have to work within those parameters.

I really can't say much more than that. Working for a certain publisher editing certain books, I'm having a good time. It's certainly a different way of doing things, but the authors I work with are really good. If you want to see some good shared-world fiction, go check out the Dragonlance: The New Adventures series in the children's series section.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 07:06:49 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing