Author Topic: Kronk's New Groove  (Read 1936 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Kronk's New Groove
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:33:54 AM »
So I was watching Herbie: Fully Loaded and saw a trailer for a sequel to Emperor's New Groove--featuring Kronk!  Disney straight-to-video sequels have never been exactly riveting or high quality. But I have to say that I am interested in this just on principal. Kronk was like the best character ever, and if the writing and comedy were strong, it could be a fun movie. But I don't know if the character (or the writing) will follow through--Disney doesn't appear to put much effort into these quickies that seem to be only for the purpose of making money. Take Return of Jafar, Lion King II, and Cinderella II as some of the abysmal examples. Poor stories, bad music, and silly plots.

Here's the official site and the IMDB site, and this site gives a whole plot summary, which sounds a bit cheesy. Even so, I might actually want to see this one, just because it is Kronk. However, I feel I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I like cheesy kid movies. But even I was extremely under-impressed by every Disney sequel such as this that I've seen. Kronk may be about to be butchered. What do you guys think?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Kronk's New Groove
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 07:25:40 AM »
Kronk rules.

'nuff said
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:31:01 PM »
The fact that you were watching Herbie: Fully Loaded makes all of your subsequent opinions about movies null and void. Sorry, but those are the rules.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 12:59:11 PM »
Straight to video released Disney sequels are of the devil. ;D
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 01:06:04 PM »
sometimes their straight to theater releases are of the devil... see the afore mentioned Herbie...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 01:12:19 PM »
I amend my statement.  The Disney Corporation is the devil, and some of their products demonstrate this more than others.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 01:16:22 PM »
Disney doesn't appear to put much effort into these quickies that seem to be only for the purpose of making money.

That, actually, is the funniest thing said in that whole post. Because y'know, Disney (or any other movie company) has primary reasons for making movies *other* than making money.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 01:43:17 PM »
Actually the Lion King 1/2 was quite good so was the 3rd Aladdin movie and both those were direct to video.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 01:45:02 PM »
Some directors have other reasons, I think, but companies are pretty much just in it for the money.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »
Lion King 1 1/2 was very good (I've only seen about half of it, though), but Aladdin 3 = no good (à mon avis).  And then, The Rescuers Down Under was better than the original.

However, Kronk was awesome, and I think I'll have to see this one.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 01:51:41 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »
Long live Patrick Warburton.

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 01:51:01 AM »
well, the movie looks....well, interesting.  not sure if it will be a good one with that storyline.
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 02:06:08 AM »
And then, The Rescuers Down Under was better than the original.

But see, Rescuers Down Under went to theaters first. Disney puts in more effort when it is going to be released on the big screen. The same is true of Toy Story II.

Fell: Watching Herbie Fully Loaded (and enjoyed it) does not nullify my comments or discredit me at all! In actuality, I think it shows that I have an informed opinion. The fact that I like some cheesy films, rather than hating them all on principle, gives me more credence. So there, Fell!  :P

Okay, maybe not. Cheesy films are like a guilty pleasure of mine (like cartoons). I like to view the media produced for kids/teens, partly because it is my target audience as an author, but mostly because I personally like it. And that, unfortunately, is because I still think like a kid half of the time.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 07:54:45 PM »
I would like to see Herbie Fully Loaded; I've seen all the Herbies so far including the direct-to-video Love Bug sorta-remake with Bruce Campbell. Herbie is cool, though that movie sucked so bad...

And Kronk could be interesting...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 08:47:24 PM »
Lindsey Lohan.  That's all I have to say.  I'm staying as far from that movie as possible.