Author Topic: Fire Alarm  (Read 8317 times)

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
Fire Alarm
« on: May 12, 2004, 12:15:19 AM »
Well, that was fun.  We just got dragged out of the computer room, away from the BOFH Archives (Bastard Operator From Hell, http://bofh.ntk.net/Bastard.html) To stand in the sun for 15 minutes.  As it turns out some student managed to set it off by accident or something.  There are a few things about this which irritate me:

1. Getting Dragged out of computer room
2. Having to sit in a room for lunchtime while they try to make someone own up
3. I'm disappointed the student didn't cover their tracks better, they should have made it look like a real accident.

Incidentally, has anyone here actually heard of one of these alarms actually being true?
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: Fire Alarm
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:18:12 AM »
last year the fire alarm went off, and the teachers lounge caught on fire, because Mr. bohman was dumb enough to put popcorn in the microwave for ten minutes
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 12:34:45 AM »
When I lived in Colorado, we had an actual fire in the school. Well, not in the school really. It was in the parking lot. A car blew-up. So everyone had to exit outside of the school, even though the fire wsan't in the school.

I was in art class at the time. The art teacher found out that the fire wasn't actually in the school and let everyone back inside the art room so we oculd work on our drawings. But we did have to put up with the annoying fire alarm the whole time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 02:51:06 AM »
I had the Fire Alarm go off during my trial HSC exam.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 07:47:06 AM »
When I was in high school it became hip to call in bomb scares. we had something like a dozen bomb threats in one school year. We went outside a lot that year, and the fire alarm is what told us to do so.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:50:32 AM »
When I was in 6th grade we had several bomb threats.  One was "if you let the kids out of school I'll blow it".  The teachers didn't tell us at the time why we where being held after school, but at least they didn't make us do schoolwork.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 08:01:48 AM »
I remember at one school I went to for three years, we had an annual bomb threat, the same time every year. I still think the best idea would have been to plant the bomb at the evacuation point, thus gaining complete control. Every time we evacuated I just thought that, and how badly jammed we would have been if someone actually did that.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 01:19:21 PM »
Well, we have had at least 20 fire alarms pulled this year, I can recall vividly 16 of them (yes,  I just counted) and until this year there was at least one bomb threat a month a our school.  What I find kinda funny is if someone really wanted to blow us all to kindom come, would they really call in and tell everyone?  That's like saying to someone "I am gonna rob your house at about noon tommorow, so could you please have the police there?"...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 01:47:33 PM »
The difference between horror and suspense is that in horror, two people meet at a restaurant for lunch, and then a nuclear bomb will go off. In suspense, you'll see the bomb before they get to the restaurant.

Terrorism is kind of the same thing. When the goal is to destroy something, you destroy something: you take out manufacturing or energy sources, or military assets. When the point is to demoralize, you show them somehting. Or hint that there's something.

to go too far into it: take 9/11 as an example. The intent was not to hurt, but to scare. As many deaths as there were, it was not a significant portion of the US population. As important as the WTC was, it was not going to economically hamper the US's ability to respond or act (at least, it directly wouldn't). The point was NOT to take out assets, but to scare the government and citizens by showing them what could be done.

That's why you call in a bomb scare. TO make people realize they're vulnerable. Not to actually kill them, although that's sometimes the result. Alternatively, it's to make a demand, for ransom or something. there has to be a threat before there can be a demand.

Another reason to call in a bomb scare is to get out of class for the day, which, when the bomb scare is at a High School, I suspect is more generally the case.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 06:30:03 PM »
Excactly, which is why the faculty hardley pays attention anymore.  If there is a bomb/shooting threat now all teachers just lock their doors, and continue class.  Then the police come and do a bomb check and it's all over within an hour.  We do more drills for these situations than anything else now, bomb threats have kinda fallin out of style.  Now pulling the fire alarm right before my lunch time... that's a defferent story.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 08:25:12 PM »

Incidentally, has anyone here actually heard of one of these alarms actually being true?

Junior year of high school we were in New York on a choir trip and our hotel caught fire at 2am.  That one was true.  There were also sprinklers and smoke, and lots of firemen.

It was an exciting trip, all around.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 11:56:24 PM »
Hehe, at our school, the fire alarm goes off a lot down by the pool. Apparently, the showers in the girls locker roomlet off a lot of steam, and a fire alarm is coincidentally placed right outside the windows. The steam triggers the alram a lot, and a bunch of screaming girls always run out of the locker room. It's quite funny to watch.
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 11:57:58 PM »
okay steam and girls locker room in the same sentance does not bode well... and frankly I think they did that on purpose, ya know just to watch the girls run out of showers.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 12:03:17 AM »
No, they don't do it on purpose. The girls locker room is just infinitely times better than the crummy sleaze hole that is the boys one, what with the forty showers...anyway, at swim meets and things like that, a lot of people use the showers, you can even see steam coming out of the windows. It's just kind of funny, because people have gotten used to it, and continue with whatever is going on.
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 07:17:09 AM »
One time I set the school on fi... nevermind.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.