Author Topic: Star Trek: Enterprise  (Read 1329 times)

Rican

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Enterprise
« on: December 06, 2004, 02:07:25 PM »
What is the deal behind the Rom Empire and the Vulcan?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 02:15:50 PM »
I'd answer, but I have all my knowledge comes from Diane Duane and the other brillant writers of the novels.

I'm never sure how much star trek novels are canon and how much they're fanfic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 02:16:01 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 06:29:52 PM »
From what I know, reading some Star Trek sites, the romulans departed from vulcan when the 'no emotion' philosopy was introduced. This was a really really long time ago.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 10:32:06 PM »
Yeah, when Surak was spreading his philosophies of logic and "passion's mastery" one of his former students was behind the movement to split off and travel to a new planet.  They wanted to go back, basically, back to Vulcan's roots and not into this weakness of pacifism.  They put a lot of detail into it, forming the generation ships, how it almost drained Vulcan's economy until they gave the task to the private sector to design the best ships and made it a competitive business thing.

mmm, there was this excellent book that I read recently and I can't remember what book it was, argh.  But it was excellent, and went into detail about the leader of the Romulan people and how they created a new language by going back to Vulcan's archaic linguistic roots, and the sword, and man it was a good book now I can't remember what it was and its' going to drive me nuts.

oh..... I'm a star trek geek, I should know these things, going to drive me nuts until I can find it.

http://home.wxs.nl/~mbedaff/romulan.htm

That link gives you a breakdown.

ETA: Oh duh, it's "The Romulan Way" how stupid of me. I even remember now - I bought that book thinking it was  a different book.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:37:23 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 12:58:16 AM »
UNFORTUNATELY, the excellent novels like that one cannot be taken as canon at all. TV writers are free to contradict any and all aspects of the novels. (Which is great for the horrible novels but a real bummer for the great novels.)

Actually, it appears that Star Trek doesn't really have a canon. Writers for one series freely ignore stuff from previous series. So you may feel free to believe whatever source you want. Of course if you're asking specifically about Enterprise, you should look for info from only that one show itself.

The main reason I'm not a fan of Star Trek anymore is the utter disregard for continuity.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 12:59:14 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 01:23:11 AM »
I guess I spent too much of my life watching Doctor Who for that to bother me.  

Doctor Who was the show that had no handbook and no continuity - when the writers had a continuity question they would consult fans in the area.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 01:23:26 AM »
Rican you silly man, you know you should have asked me about this. If you really want the straight anwser (which there is none) then you should go to the source and find your answers. ie Startrek.com

They recently did an article asking just that. Here is the link to the article about the Romulans and Vulcans, and why the contiunity doesn't exist.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/documentaries/article/1479.html

If you still have a questions, just call me and hopefully I'm not going to work.
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 02:55:52 PM »
Just happened to catch the assimilation of Captain Picard on Next Generation just now. I haven't seen this episode since high school. Fun, but it's kind of funny how dated the styles and technology look now, especially compared to the last movie that had the Borg in it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 07:51:36 PM »
Agreed Stacer, but for that day and age it wasn't too bad in my opinion.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 08:43:16 PM »
Well we were watching our Gargoyles set, and Xanatos has all these high-tech items, big TV, and super sci-fi-ish equipment and he uses VHS tapes and 3.5 floppys.

Cracked me up.