Author Topic: Bible Info  (Read 2038 times)

Rican

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
Bible Info
« on: February 07, 2005, 04:07:59 PM »
Does anyone know of any god Bible Passages out there and there meaning behind them.  I am look for some help on the subject of love, forgiveness, marriage.  Please let me known of the source of the passage.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: Bible Info
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 04:15:39 PM »
Well, somebody could give you a passage and their interpretation, but the real interpretaion cannot truly be determined because the author is not around to say what he meant.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 04:24:32 PM »
Why do I sense a violent debate coming on....
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:15:20 PM »
the real interpretaion cannot truly be determined because the author is not around to say what he meant.

Yeah... wouldn't it be nice if we still had prophets on the earth, with direct communication with God?

Gorgon, I have a few friends I can send by your house, if you're interested...   ;D
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 05:31:43 PM »
There are a number of sources on the web where you can search the Bible by subject, Rican. The one I would suggest would be http://scriptures.lds.org/, where you can search the Bible specifically or any book. That's the King James Version--if you feel more comfortable with other translations, I'm not sure where you'd find them, but I'm sure you could google for NSV, etc.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 05:45:28 PM »
Well, somebody could give you a passage and their interpretation, but the real interpretaion cannot truly be determined because the author is not around to say what he meant.

This argument touches on every written work there is.  There is no "real" interpretation of anything at all.  Even authors have no claim on the "real" interpretation of their own work.  You get out of it what you get out of it, that's all there is to it.  Everyone's will be different and no one's will be any more "real" than anyone else's.

Even scripture.  The Holy Ghost (spirit of God, comforter, whatever you want to call him if you believe in him) is totally capable of teaching different people completely different things from the same verse of scripture.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 07:47:23 PM »
I wish I did have direct communication with God cause then I could ask him some personal questions that are going on in my life right now and while I am at it I would also ask him the winning lottery numbers to.  But I am still looking for passage right now.  I have found some, but I need more for personal stuff.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »
I think I'd ask him why he never invented something as cool as a lightsabre.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 09:33:11 PM »
Because if he did that, then all of the other religions that worshipped other gods would be forced to convert in the face of the sheer awesomeness of said act. And that just wouldn't be fair. God is a good sport, he likes fair competition, especially since he can't lose.  ;D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:10:50 AM »
Entropy, that was so freakin funny!  I haven't laughed so hard like I did in a long time!  A lightsaber would be so cool! :)
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 12:29:49 AM »
Some of my favorites:

FORGIVENESS
Luke 32:34  "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

--I like this scripture because of what it represents.  The soul of the ministry of Christ was that of love and forgiveness.  Here, while experiencing the agony of hanging on the cross, he shows us an example of amazing charity as he prays for very men who were killing him.  

Second Corinthians Chapter two (particularly verses seven and ten.)

--This chapter is Paul explaining a little of the doctrine of forgiveness.  He talks about not using our love to motivate others to guilt, and about forgiving others in the same way that we are forgiven through Christ.  Paul can be a little hard to read, though.

Colossians 3:13 "Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye."

--Like the earlier one, but stated in a more concise form.

LOVE
1 John 4:7  "Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God."

--beautiful little scripture that pretty much sums it up, I think.

John 17:23:  "I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me."

--Using love as an example.  This is kind of a commandment to the people of god to be known as loving, so that people will know where to go to find the truth.

MARRIAGE
The bible, particularly the New Testament, doesn't actually have that much to say about marriage.  There are a few scriptures where Paul says that it is good for a person dedicated to the ministry to not get married.  The Catholics use this as their basis for a celibate clergy; the rest of us think that Paul was referring to specific individuals who were called on specific missions, during which they should not be thinking about marriage or other concerns.

There are several scriptures that refer to how a man should lead in the home, and the Old Testament is rife with Law of Moses commandments regarding marriage.  If you want something more pertinent to our current world, however, you'll have to be willing to take some scriptures with an LDS perspective.

Ephesians Chapter 5:25-33

--This is the famous "Husbands, love your wives" passage.  Essentially, it tells a husband to treat his wife as Christ himself treated the church.  It's a beautiful passage, and talks about marriage and family as a basic unit of the Gospel.  

Matt 19:6 "Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

--Also pretty famous, this is the scripture that talks about man and woman becoming one.  (It's spoken of in other places.)  This is also one of the scriptures interpreted in LDS doctrine to refer to eternal marriage.

That's the best I can do without more context, Jerry.  (Or without pulling from LDS scripture. ) If you let me know a little more narrowly what you're looking for, perhaps I can find some other passages.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 12:47:56 AM »
Ever since you asked this afternoon, 1 Corinthians chapter 13 has been going through my mind, especially verses 4-8. It speaks of charity, but another word for charity is love. It talks about how love is all about serving and loving another--being patient, kind, humble, unselfish, and in general able to overcome all. This speaks specifically of the pure love of Christ, but can apply in personal relationships as well.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »
Thanks for all the help and I would have to give god some props if there were light sabers.  But can you image all the holy war there would be if we had light sabers.  What a blood bath.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »
I think I'd ask him why he never invented something as cool as a lightsabre.

Psh, I have one.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.