Local Authors > Robison E. Wells

Deseret Book vs. Seagull Book

<< < (3/9) > >>

Skar:

--- Quote ---Here's my problem with this idiotic idea: Sure, any Utahn who doesn't find what they're looking for in one store can go to another. But what if a customer in Seattle wants a book published by Covenant? The only game in town is the Deseret Book up by the temple. That means that person either has to online/mail order, or they don't get the book, because the products are so dissimilar as to be completely irrelevant. If I want to buy a Robison Wells book, a nonfiction DB title isn't going to do the trick.

This is what happens when publishers and bookstores collide. A bookstore should have a completely different agenda than a publisher, and a publisher shouldn't run a bookstore.
--- End quote ---

Wait.  Is Deseret planning on not buying from Covenant any more as well as not selling to Seagull?

Firemeboy:
They might say the will, but the hard truth is that they don't push Covenant's books.  The Logan DB bought 12 copies of my Chickens book, and they sold out in 4 weeks (I had nothing better to do than check every four or five days).  They never bought anymore copies.  I asked the clerk, and they said 'they might be getting some in or they could special order it'.  But in the six months I went back and checked, they never ordered any more of my books.

So while they might buy a token number of Covenant books, they certainly don't push them.  I believe my first report form Covenant showed that Seagull had sold about 2500 copies of my book, and DB had sold about 200.  

House of Mustard:

--- Quote ---Wait.  Is Deseret planning on not buying from Covenant any more as well as not selling to Seagull?
--- End quote ---

From what I hear, Deseret still plans to buy from Covenant, and has orders placed for Covenant's September and October releases.

Spriggan:
Odd thing is, I usually buy things from B&N out here instead of Deseret or Seagull.  

Skar:
Yeah.  The only thing I ever bought from either was Rob's books and David Farland's Mouse book, all from Seagull.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version