Author Topic: So what is everybody playing?  (Read 23417 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: So what is everybody playing?
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2004, 07:46:52 AM »
"like a scooby snack." Excellent Tolkien-esque language there.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2004, 05:08:20 PM »
Notice that it took me four words to convey the meaning, whereas Professor Tolkien would have felt the need to expand upon it for 27 pages.  

:)     :)     :)     :)
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
of course, prof. Tolkien's work would get adapted into a movie and read by millions of fans within 5 decades, while you get.... well, us.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2004, 04:04:33 AM »
Eh, It's better then being made into a Disney movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2004, 09:31:13 AM »
ok, that is very very true.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2004, 08:25:08 AM »
Disney BPE(Before Pixar Exodus) or APE (Ante Pixar Exodus)?
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2004, 08:25:42 AM »
Disney from when Walt first drew mickey to now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 08:25:53 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2004, 08:39:16 AM »
Even that cool dragon in sleeping beauty?

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2004, 01:52:10 AM »
Hey, I kinda like the old Disney movies.  Even though Walt Disney was a racist who hated children.  

As per my players request, the casting call for our Lord of the Rings game.  Just thought I'd share.

Soros:     Stuart Townsend (Lestat from Queen of the Damned and Dorian Grey from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Kiri Ani:     Kelly Hu (Lady Deathstrike in X2 and Cassandra in Scorpion King)

Kouglar Vileblood:     Ron Perlman (reigning god of prosthetics)

Uncle Einar:     Sylvester McCoy (the 7th Doctor Who and star of too many tasteless films to mention)

Kestral Brooksmere:  a buffed up Elijah Wood (gotta be a hobbit thing)

Cyan Cullin:     Lauren Ambrose (Claire from Six Feet Under)

Snaga:     Bill Goldberg (out-of-his-gourd wrestler, transformed through the miracle of dwarf-vision)
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »
session 13

In Hollowglade, Kiri Ani draws Soros aside and shows him the black, hand shaped mark on her stomach. Soros says he detects no malice in the mark. Pale Shadow returns, battered and bloodied, the sole surviver of the elves who went to clean out the uruk ungol lair and hunt down the creature they believe to be Goroth.

Cyan goes out hunting alone and bags a couple of wolves that were prowling outside of Hollowglade. She seems tougher to the others; leaner, meaner, more feral. Her hair has grown longer.

Soros sends a message via death's head moth to the Witch of Isengard, asking for her aid. The travel by horse out of Hollowglade the next morning, and ride into sudden swirling mists. The landscape seems different as they spy great towers of iron and gold, but they stay on the path. They pass great shining halls and cities of glittering scales. In the morning, the mists clear and they see Isengard, having traveled many hundreds of miles in a single night. As they approach, the ents speak to the group. Cyan replies in entish unknowingly, not aware she did so. They enter Orthanc and the Witch introduces them to a tall, gaunt man clad in the livery of a soldier of a battle unit some 150 years from the past.  She introduces him as Tark of Gondor, known to the common folk of Middle Earth simply as the Dead Man.  She says that the Dead Man will take them down the Paths of the Dead to speak to Isildur.  She also tells them that Ellesar is talking of war against the orcs for the death of his son.  The Harad, she tells them, have thrown in with their Rhunite allies against their own impending war against the orcs.  

Kouglar reveals that he is a half orc.  Everybody else just goes "well, DUH!"  Tark the Dead Man takes Soros, Einar, and Kouglar down the mist-shrouded Paths of the Dead, where they glimpse the strange towers and ichthyoidal halls they saw in shadows the previous night during their sorcerous journey to Isengard.  They learn that the shade of Isildur has been locked out of Time itself and is held by the magic of the First Ones in Umbar, Land of the Dead.  They prepare to go back to the Living World, but the shades will not allow them to cross back.  Spectral monsters come from the shadows to bar their path.  Tark hacks through the creatures, utterly without fear or any other emotion.  Soros casts his spells to frighten the creatures into thinking that Tark is even more powerful than he actually is.  Soros' magic strengthens their ties to the Living World, and they are able to break free from the Path of the Dead.  

Back in the mortal world, strange stirrings come from Einar's pack.  The strange egg he and Kouglar found has hatched.  Inside the backpack, a tiny dragon no larger than a hand peeks out at Einar, accepting the wicked old Hobbit as it's mother, much to Einar's complete astonishment.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 06:56:19 PM by Slant »

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2004, 10:07:58 PM »
Session 14

Soros volunteers himself to go to Umbar to release shade of Isildur.  Kouglar says he could go talk to the Northern orcs to try to keep them from war, but Einar points out that he is half human, which to an orc would mean that he needs to be at least half dead.  Kes comes up with the obvious conclusion that since both Elessar and Arahaiz lost their sons, the person behind all of this could have some sort of twisted parent/son issus in his past that they might be able to manipulate.

Soros, Kiri Ani, Einar, and Kouglar prepare to go to Umbar.  The Dead Man gives them a philter of Manwe's Light that will protect them from the undead.  Kes and Cyan pour through the tomes of Isengard for some sort of reference to Goroth's familial background.  The Dead Man bestows upon Soros the ability to take his party along the Paths of the Dead, bypassing normal time and space.  He tells them that he will join them in Umbar following a small matter that he needs to take care of alone.  

Snaga, bored, travels the wilderness around Isengard.  As night falls he cuts wood for a fire, only to discover the tree is actually an angry ent who tosses him over 50 yards into the woods (and invents the sport of dwarf-tossing).  Snaga, lost, is beset upon by wights.  He stumbles across their underground crypt and discovers the objects binding them to the mortal plane, nearly being slain by a pit trap and then a spike trap before he does away with the objects and hews through the now-mortal wights.  He returns to Isengrad, ticked off and in need of a hot bath.

Soros and company come upon the Gates of Umbar.  The spectral minions manning (ghosting?) the gate deny them access.  Einar pipes up that he has eternal access to the city because he was one of the Mad Barons of Umbar who ruled the city during the first years of Undeath.  They are let in, as the others just stare at Einar quizically.  

In Isengard, Kes finds more infrormation in an old book of Southron lore detailing that Goroth, known as the Hound of Mordor, was sired by an elf turncoat and that Goroth was cursed by Eru to be forever unable to walk the Land in the light of day, lest he suffer terrible torment.  

Soros and his companions enter Umbar.  Dead men silently go about their business.  There is no sound.  No joy.  Taverns and inns stand deserted in sepulchral gloom.  They find a small ghetto of the living and make contact with Zal, the disease-gutted headman.  Zal informs them that if they seek a specific soul, they must stand before Valsotholis, the Ghost King.  The baby dragon in Einar's pack eats all his cheese, upsetting the hobbit.  

Snaga and Cyan hunt bears in the wilderness.  Kes tells the Witch that he has noticed weird changes in Cyan.  The Witch tells him that she has the Mark of the Beast upon her.

(next session write up in 2 days)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2004, 11:15:03 PM »
session 15

Soros and his mates go to the Darkened Hall to face Valsotholis.  A vampire woman attempts to seduce Soros along the way, and he begins to weaken, but Kiri holds aloft the Dead Man's philter and banishes her.  they arrive and confront Valsotholis, a thing of shadow and cobwebs.  Kiri attempts the philter trick again, but the undead thing shatters it through sheer force of will.  

In Isengard, Cyan continues to hunt, clad only in simple leathern togs and bearing only her knife.  Snaga is shocked by the methodical ruthlessness of her ability.

Valsotholis tells Soros and Kiri ANi that for the shade of Isildur, he wants something of equal value.  He asks for the soul of Elessar, but Soros cannot agree to this.  The wraith king gives them two days to come up with a suitable trade.

Einar and Kouglar, in the ghetto of the living, try to rally the men residing there to leave Umbar, but they are too afraid.  later, Einar tells Kouglar that he has an idea to turn their fear into his advantage financially.  Kouglar balks at the hobbit's mercenary ideas, but his will weakens when Einar reminds him that he is only a penniless vagabond whom nobody has ever shown kindness towards.

Cyan comes back from a night of hunting.  She goes to see Kes, confiding in him that she is changing somehow and it scares her.  He comforts his friend as she weeps and they become intimate in the night.  During their consumation, she turns into something dark, powerful, and feral.  She slashes at him, rending his flesh with powerful claws.  Only Kes' incredible endurance keeps him alive as she bounds off into the night, more beast than hobbit.  Kes drags himself to the Witch's chambers and berates the Mistress of Isengard, "you could have been a bit more specific about this "mark of the beast" business and just said "werewolf" from the start!"  He goes out into the wilderness to look for Cyan.  he finds her in the morning, naked, bloody, and in a daze.

Einar tells the mortal folk of Umbar that he has discovered that Valsotholis is breeding dragons for battle and shows them his "proof," the baby dragon locked up in a cage (quite sad, really).  He tells them that within one generation, all the dragons will be grown and needing food. "Your children will be doomed!"  He says he knows of a powerful witch who can help them, but that her services do not come cheap....

end of session

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2004, 07:53:31 AM »
At the moment, I happen to be playing the following:

Tuesday: GURPS WW2. We are playing a British (of course) commando unit. It's ok, but not that interesting as a campaign. Zombie castle followed by alien ships in a german aircraft hanger.

Next week that should wrap up and we will start playing Warcraft. Going to play a Horde group. I've got my level 7 Orc Wolf Rider already made and raring to go.

Thursday: We mainly play a high fantasy GURPS game, where the characters are the followers of the rightful king in exile, and we are currently sitting in the capital trying to size up the political situation. It's a homemade world, where magic comes from technological devices, so the regular peasants are using flintlock muskets while the Priests and Wizards are busy throwing grenades and firing Guass Needlers. The magic uses the magic rules, but it is actually from various high-tech level stuff. The characters are not allowed to have magic, since the prerequisites for being a priest/wizard are about double our entire character point total. Playing a traditional knight character, with emphasis on diplomatic style skills.

When somebody is absent we tend to start playing 7th Sea, where we are playing members of a religious secret order (the Popes personal spies, assassins and other 'odd job' men is one way to put it). We are in Friegsburg, charged with setting up a chapter house and maintaining it. Since we recently got informed of a 15,000 guilders debt to be paid within 35 days, we are undertaking various missions along the lines of bounty hunting brigands, investigating houses full of magical artifacts and possible ghosties, and assassinating triumphant generals on their parade. The last one is the one i aquired, you'll probably be unsurprised to learn. I'm playing the Avalonian archer with bard skills. And the largest wardrobe in the city.

Saturday:
Exalted. Not sure what is going to happen here, but it is probably linked to the first-age city we are helping to defend.  Playing a Dawn cast Solar in that.

Wow, i sure do talk a lot.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2004, 03:55:15 PM »
I was playing LotR for a awhile, but one of our players got a swing shift job and another one dropped out because his wife was giving him a lot of grief about it (this despite the act that we only play for two hours at a time, once a week). So essentially, our group has fallen apart, which is too bad because I just got Eberron and Id love to try it out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »
that bites... what did she object to, the game or the amount of time he was using?