Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Cosmere Discussion ***SPOILERS for ALL books***

(1/11) > >>

Pechvarry:
Howdy.  After months of lurking, I finally found out why it wasn't letting me register an account and rectified it.  So before I start making 13 new topics/day on ridiculous theories, I'd like to ask a couple questions:

A) The Physical/Spiritual/Cognitive realms.  I've seen these referenced a lot and I'd like to ask: what the heck are you talking about?  Can I be pointed towards a Brandon Post/Q&A/annotation where he discusses this?

B) Good ol' Hoid.  As above, can anyone tell me if and where Brandon ever actually stated he's some sort of planet-hopper?Without him actually saying "yeah, he can teleport between planets", I'm inclined to believe there are multiple Hoids.  Shards of his consciousness, so to speak.

Thanks a bunch.

Fireborn:
I'm not sure where the answer to your first question is, but Brandon has said that all of the Hoid appearances we've seen are the same person.

Eerongal:

--- Quote from: Fireborn on September 13, 2010, 10:25:47 PM ---I'm not sure where the answer to your first question is, but Brandon has said that all of the Hoid appearances we've seen are the same person.

--- End quote ---

Yup.

I'm pretty sure the answer to both of these have come from interviews/Q&A and such things at signings and things like that. So far in all of his novels, none of this stuff has been particularly referenced. For example, the Hoid thing, he explained at a signing I went to recently (there are links to video on the forums here, in the topic "STL Signing" or something like that i posted not too long ago) that there is "a character that shows up in all of his books" this would be hoid. While he didn't mention him by name there, this has long been confirmed previously.

SmokinEmber:
From a Barnes & Noble Q&A session with Brandon:

"Each of the 'Shardworlds' I've written in (Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker, Way of Kings) exists with the same cosmology.  All things exist on three realms--the spiritual, the cognitive, and the physical.  What's going on here is an interaction between the three realms.  I don't to bore you with my made up philosophy, but I do have a cohesive metaphysical reasoning for how my worlds and magic works.  And there is a single plane of existence--called Shadesmar, the Cognative Realm--which connects them all.

You will never need to know any of this to read and enjoy my books, but there is an overarching story behind all of them, going on in the background.  Adonalsium, Hoid, the origin of Ati, Leras, the Dor, and the Voice (from Warbreaker) are all tied up in this."

Also:

"Hoid is quite proficient at manipulating Shadesmar for his own ends."

The entire interview can be found here:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/Post-Questions-For-Brandon-Sanderson-Here/td-p/354645

Ari54:
It should be noted that Shadesmar IS the cognitive realm, if that helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version