Author Topic: Complete Arcane  (Read 2837 times)

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Arcane
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 03:43:26 PM »
How does this compare to the old Tomes and Blood?  Other than the Blood Magus, does it revamp any of the PrCs?  etc.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Mad Fnorder

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »
Yeah, it tweaks the Fatespinner, among othes, turning it into a five level class and kind of nerfing the whole Spin thing altogether, as well as Seal Fate- what used to be save vs. Fort or die is now Save vs Fort or get +10 and/or -10 on saves. For the round that you use it in. That's it. Hope someone else brought a wand...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2004, 04:57:41 PM »
The Fatespinner looked like a cleaner implementation, however. If you're looking for Tome and Blood updates, they also redid the Elemental Savant, which lost some DC improvements along with the new lower-DC theme of the 3.5 rules. Geomancer was reprinted as well if memory serves, but I didn't take the time to look into it. If that's not in Complete Arcane, look in Complete Divine, where you can also locate a trippy new True Necromancer class with 14 levels.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2004, 09:17:14 PM »
The new True Necromancer is in Libris Mortis (original was in Tome and Blood), new Geomancer is in Complete Divine (original was in Masters of the Wild), and Complete Arcane has "Geometer" which is about using magical symbols and glyphs in your spells.  They get glyph of warding and greater glyph of warding as arcane spells (I believe they are normally cleric spells), draw spellglyph ability which replaces the normal material components and adds the Silent Spell to it, but it costs money to make the glyph.  They can also scribe any spell into 1 page, which saves space and gold in your spellbook.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 12:26:35 PM »
Oops, that's right. That's what comes from trying to comment without being able to look at the books I guess.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 02:12:11 AM »
Mage of the Arcane Order is exactly the same, even the flavor text.  Alcolyte of the Skin is weaker but easier prequisites, same with Elemental Savant.  Wayfarer Guide is also a lot the same, main change is it loses the feat requirements.

Mindbender loses a caster level, but gains a +2 and then a +4 bonus to caster level when using enchantments, and their competence bonus is now 1/2 class level to all skills instead of chosing which gets the bonuses.  Their supernatural dominate ability is now spell-like, but gets their primary caster attribute modifier to the DC.  Same for Mindread and Friends Forever (renamed Eternal Charm, and the 2 creature limit is now changed to 1 at 4th, 2 at 6th, 3 at 8th, 4 at tenth).  Might be a few other changes if I really went through it.

Pale Master from Tome and Blood can be found in Libris Mortis, not Complete Arcane.  The revision is much better, for example getting 9 caster levels instead of 5 and improved touch attack DCs based on ability modifiers.  Spellsword is also quite a bit better (namely because of the full BAB progression) and can be found in Complete Warrior.  Dragon Disciple and Arcane Trickster are in the new DMG obviously, Candle Caster does not make a return, and Alienist is in Complete Arcane and the more important changes are tougher prerequisitse and heavier penalties.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 02:48:28 AM »
Just as a footnote, I despise the Arcane Trickster.   The concept makes me want to pound nails through my eyes.

I am still in disbelief such a horrible PrC actually made it into the DMG.   Grrrr....