Author Topic: Rome: Total War  (Read 1758 times)

Palantir

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rome: Total War
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:43:54 PM »
I purchased Rome: Total War (after waiting a year for its release) as soon as it was out. My expectations were great and I must say, after playing the game, I was not disappointed with the game at all!

This game is a *must*. It is easily now the best game I've ever played and the Age of Empires series must now take a back seat.

Anyway, I've been messing around a doing a little modding too ;) Anyone got this game or into modding?

I'd be interested to hear from you.

Palantir.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:45:18 PM by Palantir »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Rome: Total War
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 02:48:50 PM »
Welcome to the board, Palantir. When you get a chance, introduce yourself on the introduce yourself thread.

I'm glad it turned out to be such a great game, because while my computer is too old and crappy to run it, I recommended it to my friend who was asking about other FPS games (he's been playing Red Alert all this time) and the most beefy one my computer will play is... er... Starcraft....

I told him Total War was supposed to be really good, so I'm glad it is.

Incidentally, Palantir, any chance we'll get a review of the game out of you?

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:53:22 PM »
Did you mean RTS instead of FPS?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:54:24 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 03:02:52 PM »
yes, yes i did.

or, to be snarky:

No, isn't Starcraft a first-person shooter? It's not? I've been playing it wrong this whole time!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 11:25:59 PM »
Yeah, i have RTW. Played it online a fair bit, won a slight majority of my games i think. I use Carthaginians - phalanxes and elephants is just a lovely combination.

Don't hold your breath for a review from me - i've got nexus and Half Life 2 to review first.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 01:04:12 AM »
Keep your hands off, Entropy. Half Life 2 is mine to review.

I think you'll notice quite well I got the game a quarter of a second before you. Which means I have dibs.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:24:14 AM »
But see, you have to do education and work. I don't. I have more free time that, uhm, most of the board put together :/

So i'll finish first :) Make you a deal though - you review Deus Ex 2, and i'll add a second opinion to it, you add your second opinion to the HL2 review.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Master Xaio

• Level 13
  • All power corrupts, absolute power's even more fun
    • View Profile
    • Eradicator II RPG
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 07:33:35 AM »
I've played Rome: Total War quite a lot, more multiplayer than single, but a bit of both.  I would have to say that is easily my favourite all time game.  

Multiplayer, it can be awesomely fun.  I can describe numerous battles I've had with friends, which were so fun, and all worth recounting.  The ability to choose battelgrounds, forces etc. makes it all the more fun.

The forces are for the most part very well balanced, and each has its own particular advantages, so its a good idea to get to know it well.

Singleplayer, I haven't played as much, but what I have played is very fun.

And the graphics and effects are amazing.  You wouldn't believe how cool it looks to charge elephants across a bridge being pounded by flaming rocks from catapults, watch them hit the infantry near the other side, and send individual men literally flying into the water.

The combination of strategy, tactics, and a very easy and intuitive interface make this a great game.
"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"
William Yeats, 'He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven'.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 08:26:56 AM »
Grr...make me an offer you know I can't refuse...grr, alright.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Palantir

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 01:51:52 PM »
There's an intro thread? ;)

I'll get to it at some point, but I don't have much time which I suppose is ironic considering the name of this site.

A review? Maybe.It is both RTS and turn-based, played on two levels, and er...set in Roman times ;)

No one into modding then?

Palantir

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 02:18:55 PM »
Well, Best summary I can give is that it plays like Civ3 on the World map... But the actual conflicts are decided on a "Tactical map" which plays out in pausable real-time

Its GREAT
The Terain, Formation Timing and morale of your individual troops ALL make a diffrence
And it's visualy astounding to see Armies of individualy animated little fodder slamming spears into eachother
Alles!!!