Author Topic: Sad day.  (Read 10152 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Sad day.
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 01:09:08 AM »
I'm not aware of that, but to keep people from getting ideas, we might as well not discuss that in this thread or elsewhere. Pretend I never said anything. Move along, nothing to see here!!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 05:37:08 AM »
There are actually a lot of things that can get readers upset, but I digress, obey Ookla!
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
As you wish. :-X
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »
Better not to get people too excited. I personally have believed that some readers are going to hate this book and will curse Brandon and his family unto the fourth generation.

Don't go in expecting the best thing since sliced bread.

Isn't there a thread where people are discussing Mistborn 3 plot points?  Could you explain there why you think some people are going to hate this book?  Because, seriously, I thought this was much more satisfying than just about any series-ending book I can think of.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:12 PM »
Yes, there is. But that thread is populated with forum members who *aren't* alpha readers and are therefore just speculating (gleefully) about the secrets that HoA might hold.

I've purposely kept silent after a slight misstep a while ago, because apparently I sounded like I was gloating about having read the book. (oops) Really, I was just expressing how I (like yourself) thought that HoA was an excellent end to the Mistborn series. So I'll just stick by that statement and say no more.

Moreover, I think we alpha readers ought *not* to explain why we do or don't think people will love HoA. That would be crossing the boundaries of proprietary courtesy or something. (Wow, I've been reading too many book contracts today I think...)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 05:30:16 PM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
Good call. 

Hey, does anyone know if Ethan Skarstedt hangs around this forum?  He and I used to be in a writing group together, and I noticed his name on the acknowledgments page in one of Brandon's books.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
I see Skar post less and less these days. So I don't know how often he visits the site just to "lurk" rather than post.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
Now that I know what he calls himself here, I just looked up his profile and sent him a message.  Thanks for the info!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
Funny you mention being in a writing group with Skar, since he's in one of Brandon's writing groups now. When I went to Utah for a wedding last month, I dropped in on one of their meetings and it was a lot of fun seeing the old crew again (and the people I didn't know before were great too). (It made me regret living so far from everyone...)

As Shrain said, besides the fact that talking about MB3 specifics would be unfair to the readers, it would be betraying Brandon's trust, something none of us wants to do!
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 07:59:48 AM »
No, I suppose we wouldn't want to make Brandon angry. Though Ookla, I must be perfectly honest: your comments have probably formed at least 50% of my theories. Just small things that seem to make a difference. For example, look at the Hemalurgy thread at my gigantic, 3000-word post, and you'll distinctly see that I figured out the meaning of when I referenced this Sazed quote:

All the legends agree that the first Allomancers appeared when the mists came out.

As I referenced here, a couple of posts down on that page.

So, I will be completely selfish and say that I want alpha readers to keep posting. I like them.

...Sorry Brandon, I had to say it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
.... Why, why must you taunt me so, galaxy of cruelty...?
I live in Australia... which means I'll be waiting *weeks* for my copy to get here from Amazon.

ZARG!
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »
So, I will be completely selfish and say that I want alpha readers to keep posting. I like them.
...Sorry Brandon, I had to say it.
Ah, wish for what you will, but here Brandon is EUOL. And it's a decidedly bad idea to thumb one's nose at an evil undead overlord. Just sayin'.
--Spriggan

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
Good point Shrain :)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »
Not to mention it would spoil all the fun of theorizing for us crazy folk.  Patience, Chaos! 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 10:33:14 PM »
Is that an acronym?  Does it stand for something?