Author Topic: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!  (Read 13960 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Half-blood Prince Spoilers!
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2005, 12:07:21 PM »
*shrug* I don't think Rowling will be affected by that.

HP Fan

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2005, 12:26:25 PM »
*shrug* I don't think Rowling will be affected by that.

It's not a protest. I'm not saying that it would somhow affect JKR. I'm just saying that I would be very disappointed if the series ended that way. But it is really a non-issue since we won't know the ending for another 2 to 3 years, so let's get on a different subject.

What was your favorite part of book 6 (favorite scene or whatever)? This is for anyone, obviously, not just e.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2005, 01:12:22 PM »
I don't think Harry is a horcrux.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2005, 02:40:10 PM »
My favorite part was Dumbledore's dying conversation with Malfoy. I also like the memory of the Gaunts' house.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

scAri

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »
But... Rowling said that one of the "little three" is going to die in the seventh book. So IT MUST BE HARRY!!! She's resorting to a Matrixy twist!! If nothing else, Ron and Hermione have to stay alive because they're bound to get married.

HP Fan

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »
Could you reference where you found that quote (preferably a web link to the site)? I'd like to see it. I haven't read anything about that and there are a lot of rumors going around the internet on what JKR has and has not said. Reference, please.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
But Rowling said that Snape and Dumbledorer are really the same person! So it must have been an illusion that Harry saw!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2005, 05:27:54 PM »
Well, Rowling also said that the entire book is an allusion to the American political climate in the turn-of-the-century Midwest.  The many references to Gringotts clearly represents the Gold Standard, while the unicorns' silver blood indicates a shift toward silver.  Dumbledore, of course, is a strong proponent of Bimetalism, and the Triwizard tournament is representative of the 1900 presidential election (Harry being McKinley).  I don't think it even needs mentioning that Draco Malfoy is William Jennings Bryan (especially considering Draco's "don't transmogrify me on a cross of gold" speech in Book Three).

Sorry, I don't have the exact reference, but I swear JKR said it.  You could probably Google it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:28:33 PM by House_of_Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »
Hey, did you guys hear that if you watch the Harry Potter movies with the sound off, and play Dark Side of the Moon in the background, they match up?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2005, 08:19:39 PM »
I really really just want to know how come the house elves can Apparate inside the school while all the powerful wizards can't.  ???

(As soon as I track down the source of that quote, HP Fan, I'll hand it over. Someone just alluded to it on my LJ and I was being facetious anyway, but I'm sure it's gotta be out there or he wouldn't have said it.)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2005, 08:30:57 PM »
Maybe it is because their magics are different. Wizards use wands, while elves don't need them. The protection against apparation could be only against wizarding magic.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

scAri

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • ?
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »
There's a thought. But I don't think wizards use their wands to Apparate, either. As I understand, they just stand there and think really hard about the three D's that stand for different things each time--Dingbats, Death, and Detergent or something like that. Anyway, it's a wonder none of them left their clothes behind or took a chunk of the floor with them while Apparating.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »
Well, Rowling also said that the entire book is an allusion to the American political climate in the turn-of-the-century Midwest.  The many references to Gringotts clearly represents the Gold Standard, while the unicorns' silver blood indicates a shift toward silver.  Dumbledore, of course, is a strong proponent of Bimetalism, and the Triwizard tournament is representative of the 1900 presidential election (Harry being McKinley).  I don't think it even needs mentioning that Draco Malfoy is William Jennings Bryan (especially considering Draco's "don't transmogrify me on a cross of gold" speech in Book Three).

Sorry, I don't have the exact reference, but I swear JKR said it.  You could probably Google it.

So it's jsut a major rip off of the Wizard of Oz?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2005, 11:22:48 PM »
Just picked up and read the book.  Left me breathless.  I knew Dumbledore would die about halfway through since he had given Harry just about all the advice he needed.

I wanted to smack Ron and Hermione.  JKR really knows how to write high-school relationships.  They were spot-on.

Instead of going on and on, I'll basically just say that I agree with virtually everything that Fell has put forth.  I think Snape is good and that Dumbledore was begging for Snape to kill him so Draco could still be redeemed.  Snape remains my favorite character.

And, as Fell said, Harry and Ginny have to break up so he can get back together with her in Book 7 and learn the final lessons on love.

Great book.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2005, 01:44:14 PM »
That whole Wizard of Oz thing has been pretty much debunked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_Wizard_of_Oz#The_book_as_a_parallel_on_populism
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!