Author Topic: Exercise Booster Club  (Read 4750 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Exercise Booster Club
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 01:14:23 AM »
Awesome job you two!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
2 miles on treadmill...
Yay

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »
I walked on the treadmill two days in a row last week. Told myself that if I was going to watch a DVD had to do at least 30 minutes of hard walking to raise my heart rate. Found that the music in the fight scenes of Samurai Jack is very motivating--I even started running, which I haven't done in forever! I could totally helped out Jack and kicked some robot butt.  :D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »
Well I did an hour on friday and an hour today on the treadmill... 5.5 miles total so Yay me.
last week got jacked a little due to work issues. But i plan to do more this week.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
Okay folks, I've joined a new gym. I just need to get organized and then... I'm ready to start Operation: Burn the Boston Bulge!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 07:07:37 PM »
dont get organized, just go... its way easier. Start small though.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »
*sigh*

The thing is, I do need to work up the courage to take my measurements again, since that's more important than "weight," esp. since I'll also do resistance training. anyhow, it freaks me out to think about that. And yet I need to track my progress and I won't be able to do that without taking stock of where I'm at now.  :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 08:44:09 PM »
well, tell you what.

Start doing a little light cardio at the gym for a week or 2, and then do your measurements. Get your body a little bit of a warmup before the serious stuff.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 09:44:41 PM »
*nods* Okay, yeah. That sounds much less daunting.

Thanks, Jeffe.
--Spriggan

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 10:13:28 PM »
I would also suggest a personal trainer. My wife and I use my younger brother, he is NASM certified and does a great job. They will tell you the best thing for you to personally meet your goals.

Most gyms have them in house and you can just schedule them for a few sessions or even just a month.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 11:24:29 PM »
in fact if your gym is a YMCA (which are unusually awesome) they have a life training station the coaches there show you how to do stuff for a few days and help you devise a routine, then give you training on machines that have a code you can enter to keep track of your progress in a database. At the end of X amount of time it breaks it down into total calories and or miles done. Its pretty cool. But otherwise the most important thing is to get in there and do something, even if that something isnt particularly hard. You can always make it harder. But if you are starting to exercise after a long hiatus even an easy routine can mess you up.

Shrian, think about using a few machines too, but dont mess with them until you have someone show you the ropes. If you know how to use them then just do some short reps at the lowest weight  you can and focus on form, not reps or weight. Take it slow and let your muscles get used to the movement. The same goes with cardio, don't push yourself so hard that you die in week 1. Try a treadmill at a brisk walking pace with a little incline say 5 degrees, for 30 minutes. You'll find that you burn as many calories as you would at a run of almost twice the speed on flat ground. (Also it makes your butt look good, or at least mine looks good because of it). Its not hard, your not out of breath and you can always bump it up untill you feel like your heartrate is up, but manageable. Alternate up and down to keep it from getting boring.

You can lose a pound a week just walking like that if you do it for 30 minutes a day and eat a reasonable diet.
Which is really good.

But like I said, light cardio to start just to get your muscles used to the movements.