Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37581 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
I love how you're drawing so many conclusions from 7 words.
And you expected anything less of us? ha ah
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
EUOL says it's from a nearly omniscient source.  I don't think that is from a document that is written.  I think it's coming from an actual person this time.

Where did he say that? I have vague memories to it, but can't think of where it should be.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »
EUOL says it's from a nearly omniscient source.  I don't think that is from a document that is written.  I think it's coming from an actual person this time.

Where did he say that? I have vague memories to it, but can't think of where it should be.
It was in some interview not on the boards.  I think he said it at the Denver book signing maybe. . .
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 15, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »

Lol stop teasing them, Ookla.  ;)

October is only 46 days away, plus the actual day of release...

This thread will be fun to look back on afterward I think though.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

Lol stop teasing them, Ookla.  ;)

This thread will be fun to look back on afterward I think though.
We'll all have theories that make us feel stupid and ones that make us feel like omniscient gods. ha ha. xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »

Way to go.  Now I AM going to go crazy (or more so).
And I think the character is the Mist Spirit.  He or she says unfortunately because they're the real hero of ages, and locked Ruin away thousands of years ago, and now all these pretender heroes formed by the Ruin altered prophecy keep trying to set him free.  That's the unfortunate part, that none of those people are the real hero of ages, and thus are doing more harm than good, and he/she is tired because he/she has to keep dealing with these fake heroes, and prevent them from releasing Ruin.
Question: Why does the mist spirit only attack friends of the hero, but never the hero him/herself (vin or Alendi).  There's something there I think, and didn't the Spirit hold up it's arm when it first met Vin, before the knife was there, perhaps it was something to do with holding the future on it's arms?  Just guessing there, those last bits are purely specualtion, which is why they are preceded by the word Question.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »
Probably because it doesn't want to hurt them because of how much influence they have.  It just wants to sway them to do the right thing without physically causing them harm.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:53 AM »
But why take the risk, and I think Elend had more influence than Vin at this point, but that's just me.  Although Vin was controlling the koloss so her death would cause problems.  What about Alendi?
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2008, 06:53:31 AM »
Not influence in that manner.  Influence with the power they will have after the well, no matter the choice they make.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2008, 06:50:24 PM »
But if the mist spirit were to eliminate them, that type of influence would cause no ill effects because it hasn't happened yet, and still why take the chance that they will free ruin, one dead hero is surely better than a released super diety trying to destroy the world.  Perhaps it has something to do with the deepness
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2008, 08:05:04 PM »
Well a faulty hero who released Ruin but still has a chance to defeat it is better than the extinction of the world due to the Mists.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2008, 11:16:39 PM »
So here's an interesting question: what happens if no one goes to the well to claim the power? Does it just sit there? Or would it go free/randomly start doing things?
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
I think the power/calling would get SOO intense that they would really have no choice but to go.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2008, 04:33:07 AM »
That is a good question Andrew, perhaps the power would build up so much that Ruin would be completely destroyed?  Maybe that's it, releasing the power released Ruin, taking it traps him longer, and just leaving it destroys him.  Well now that he's free I guess it's not much good is it?
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »
So here's an interesting question: what happens if no one goes to the well to claim the power? Does it just sit there? Or would it go free/randomly start doing things?

Moot point. With the millennial power gathering, Ruin's influence would increase, and he would manipulate things so drastically until someone was at the Well.

However... I would really like if this "millennial power" wasn't just an arbitrary sort of thing, like, not just something that happens every thousand years. Where does the power come from? Why does it gather here? It seems to me that there has to be some overriding reason to the Well's existence, and thus far, no theory on this site has given a clear answer.

And no, you can't say "Ruin gathered the power". That's insanity. I was under the impression that Ruin's influence increased because the Well's power was gathering (simply put, there needs to be a reason in the time of Alendi for Ruin to send out the Deepness specifically at Alendi and Kwaan's time, not centuries earlier. Linking Ruin's strength to the gathering of the Well gives the reason for this--Ruin wasn't manipulating the Hero of Ages and all of that with Alendi a century or two earlier because the Well was not ready yet. Note, I think it was Andrew who linked this up. Thanks man :P). Thus, Ruin would already be a weaker force without the Well's power gathered... I mean, its like saying that car works by gasoline... but if it doesn't have gasoline, the car is going to magically create its own gasoline (despite, you know, not working.).

There is something bigger here... something we haven't even touched upon yet...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.