Author Topic: New Video Game law  (Read 978 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
New Video Game law
« on: June 01, 2005, 11:41:18 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/31/video.games.ban.ap/index.html

They're at it again.  It sounds like it'll never stand up in court.  The only reason I'm posting it at all is because it includes the over-dramatic line: "Don't let them become the monsters that we see in these violent games," Democratic Rep. Monique Davis said.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: New Video Game law
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:55:54 AM »
Am I reading this wrong, or is this not just the same guidelines already used? If you buy an M-rated game you have to show ID that you're over 18.  This is not new.  What am I missing?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »
it's not a finable law anywhere, as far as I know. It's just a guideline.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 12:48:58 PM »
Yeah -- it's recommended, but only certain stores care about it.  I think Walmart checks IDs, but most places don't.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

n8sumsion

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 01:11:50 PM »
What irritates me about this issue is that the law-makers that tend to sponsor these bills make it sound like parents have no idea what is contained in the games. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to read a rating label. If it has a big M on it, odds are little Billy may see some things in the game that are not age-appropriate.

Personally, I'm not opposed to enforsing someting similar to how movies are monitored. Make it so that minors aren't allowed to buy rated-M games. That's easy to understand by everyone involved. That way, there aren't all these arbitrary standards that vary from state to state about the types of violence or nudity in the game.

Publishers are always very quick to pounce on the "freedom of expression" argument, since it keeps their wallets fat. They are also quick to point out that M-rated games are aimed at an adult audience, and are not intended for kids. They say that publically, although I know that some publishers clearly expect kids to buy the games, and even base their revenue projections on that fact.

Frankly, as a game developer, I like the rating system. If I work on a game with an M rating, I am aiming at an adult audience and I don't want children to be playing it.

But I think laws like this will be continually shot down as long as the criteria for judging the games is so vague. And frankly, I think the politicians that propose bills like this are perfectly aware of that fact. It allows them to look all concerned for the public welfare, makes them appear to be actively doing something to protect our impressionable children, and when the bill gets shot down (as it inevitably will) they can play the part of the martyred crusader who is valiantly fighting the forces of corruption trying to keep them down. I think if the politicians are sincere, they will attempt to work with the video game industry to formulate a plan to address this issue. And I still haven't seen any true attempt to make that happen.