hemalurgy
1 (2.1%)
aon dor
4 (8.5%)
awakening
4 (8.5%)
dakhor monks
1 (2.1%)
Jindonese version of dor ( like the guy with the sword who started glowing)
0 (0%)
occular
1 (2.1%)
talents
2 (4.3%)
lightweaving
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: best magic system  (Read 6530 times)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: best magic system
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »
Hard to choose just one, since they are all awesome.

I picked Feruchemy. Always liked how it was described and how it could be played out. Yes, there are times I wish I could store up weightlessness and just float down the side of a cliff.  ;)
technically you wouldn't store weightlessness you would store weight and become weightless

Well yeah, but you know what I meant.  :D

I just think the possibilities are too great for me too pass up Feruchemy. Plus it helps a person work on self-control, what with having to sacrifice things in order to gain more. I like that.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:07:48 AM »
I really like allomancy, thus I had to chose it, but Awakening and Aon Dor are cool too, as for The Jindoese version of Dor, the dor itself  is from Duladel Jesker belief, I think, you might want to correct that.
I always thought it would be cool to see someone use emotional allomancy during a fight, making your opponent more fearful, less confident, more fatigued, it would probably give you quite an advantage.
MINOR MISTBORN BOOK 1 SPOILER
Also, at the end of book 1, Kar says somethign about the Inquisitors feel pain, different pains for different emotions, so if you rioted all their emotions at once, maybe they would feel so much pain, they could be temporarily disabled or distracted, just something I thought of.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 03:15:30 AM »
Feruchemy kicks butt. I've said this a few times already on here, but a fully charged and battle trained Feruchemist could kick all but the supercharged versions of the other magic systems (God King Awakener, Mist-fueled Vin, etc...)

An kinda funny/cool/weird idea just popped into my head though. What would happen if Grandpa Smedry faced off against Sazed?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
Hemalurgy won for me. You get Feurochemy and Allomacy, an extended life-time, B.A. spikes, virually unlimited strength and speed, etc.

You also get to be a mass-murderer or a victim.  Sorry, but pass.

However, if I had to choose, I would definitely choose being both an Allomancer and a Feruchemist.  That's just awesome.
Nature hates being reified.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
Feurochemy just seemed so interesting to me. And could be very subtle and unsuspecting. Allomancy was so new and fresh and vibrant when I read through Mistborn, but feurochemy just has that mysterious quality about it that makes me question, 'What can't I do with it?'
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »
However, if I had to choose, I would definitely choose being both an Allomancer and a Feruchemist.  That's just awesome.

So something like what Brandon mentioned for the next trilogy? I'm pretty sure he mentioned that Allomancy would be down to just Mistings, and that Feruchemy would've become something similar to Mistings, and it would be possible for a person to have access to one power from each system.....Or are you referring to the Lord Ruler?

Either way, it would be pretty cool....And now that I've finished Warbreaker, I have to say that I still go for Allomancy. Awakening is AWESOME, but it just doesn't beat the subtly and sweetness that is Allomancy. Personal opinion.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:11 AM »
I agree. This doesn't even take into account for the unknown metals. Imagine what they do added to what allomancy already is and the possabilities are endless.

Bottom line, I would pick allomancy because it would be fun. ;D
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 02:08:25 AM »
Feruchemy kicks butt. I've said this a few times already on here, but a fully charged and battle trained Feruchemist could kick all but the supercharged versions of the other magic systems (God King Awakener, Mist-fueled Vin, etc...)

An kinda funny/cool/weird idea just popped into my head though. What would happen if Grandpa Smedry faced off against Sazed?

Atium, enough said

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 05:01:30 AM »
Yes, but he's ALWAYS late for appointments, so the atium would so where he would be from being late, he could counter that.  It almost seems like it would give you an atium shadow.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

KindaChang

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
I like awakening the most.

Also, I want to see a Dakhor monk fight a Mistborn 1 Steel Inquisitor.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »
I would have to go with Allomancy.  I like the physical enhancements it grants, not too many magic systems make the user into a super assassin.  Feruchemy is more practical, but I just know I would either forget to store abilities or just be too impatient.  Awakening is very cool, but forces you to rely on objects to do the work for you, and the rules are strict.  As for Aon Dor, I would need stencils.  That gives me a great idea for fan fiction.  An Elantrian with strong access to the Dor who is hampered by the complete inability to draw a straight line.  I'll let you writer types play with that one.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:47:19 PM by Turkeysbane »
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
That's one of the main reasons I didn't go with Feruchemy. It's cool, but you have to keep up with the storing. I would forget--no doubt in my mind. Or I wouldn't store enough.

And that's also a good point about the Awakening--it is very strict. It's cool that it clearly has bounds, because it's a lot easier to understand as a reader. Yet to imagine having it....Not all commands work. You lose Breath on commands that don't work, if you're in a fight and you're unable to get them back. It would be cool to test to discover more commands, but in a fight, Allomancy is more practical. Both require precision, yet Allomancy is simpler in theory. And not everyone can be an Allomancer, whereas anyone can be an Awakener if they know the right commands (and have the Breath).

And I really need to finish Elantris. I started it last year, but then I went home and left my book for my dad to read and I still haven't finished it....Only got three chapters in, too. That first Hrathin chapter slowed me down....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 12:06:47 AM »

So something like what Brandon mentioned for the next trilogy? I'm pretty sure he mentioned that Allomancy would be down to just Mistings, and that Feruchemy would've become something similar to Mistings, and it would be possible for a person to have access to one power from each system.....Or are you referring to the Lord Ruler?

Either way, it would be pretty cool....And now that I've finished Warbreaker, I have to say that I still go for Allomancy. Awakening is AWESOME, but it just doesn't beat the subtly and sweetness that is Allomancy. Personal opinion.

I meant having the full range of abilities from both Feruchemy and Allomancy and being able to use them, like the Lord Ruler.  The indefinite life extension is amazing (assuming there is Atium or its replacement around), the healing abilities would be simply awesome, and you could fight like nobody's business, using pewter, strength and allomantically enhanced speed at the same time.  So, yeah.  Kind of like an inquisitor, but without the "I killed twenty people to get like this and now I look like a monster" vibe.
Nature hates being reified.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »
Yes, but he's ALWAYS late for appointments, so the atium would so where he would be from being late, he could counter that.  It almost seems like it would give you an atium shadow.
when i said atium enough said i was talking about how you said a feurochemist could beat an allomancer

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:06 AM »
yes, allomancers have atium and that would give them a great advantage, HOWEVER i must point out that atium is not perfect.  it has its weaknesses as Vin shows us. and there are some things u can't escape even when seeing the future. feruchemists have the potential to access the powers of the Flash, the Hulk, Wolverine, and have super senses albiet for a limited period of time.  i'll even suggest that feruchemists have access to an atium-like power with zinc and storing mental speed. i'm sticking with feruchemy
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.