Author Topic: Does this make anyone else sad?  (Read 3554 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Does this make anyone else sad?
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
Girl survives rude emoticon, becomes texting queen

I mean, seriously? A national texting championship? Dont get me wrong, texting is a nice form of communication and all, but people shouldn't be so obssesed with it, doesn't seem healthy to me
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: Does this make anyone else sad?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »
Yeah, kind of.

I figured out how to send a text message on my phone the other day. (To someone on TWG, actually.) I was very proud of myself.

It takes forever, though. Geez.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
Yeah, kind of.

I figured out how to send a text message on my phone the other day. (To someone on TWG, actually.) I was very proud of myself.

It takes forever, though. Geez.

Not that long, if you know your phone and are using T9.  Of course, it seems like forever compared to my typing speed of 90 wpm, but that's another matter...
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »
my phone is from 1999 i don't have a nifty little keyboard it takes me forever... i hate text anyways never like aim ect. if i want to communicate with a friend i have a phone and a perfectly gorgeous voice!!!! i also use voips...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
my phone is from 1999 i don't have a nifty little keyboard it takes me forever... i hate text anyways never like aim ect. if i want to communicate with a friend i have a phone and a perfectly gorgeous voice!!!! i also use voips...

I dont mind text to send a quick, short message to someone. They're perfect for that. For example: if you're meeting someone somewhere, when you arrive send them a message like "I'm here" or just plain "here" it's quicker than calling and gets everything you need to send across.

However, conversations shouldnt really be held over text, that's what the PHONE is meant form, IMO
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »
Before I got a Palm Centro (with accompanying full QWERTY keyboard), I averaged 2 texts a year. Now, I send them all the time. Even with T9, typing anything on a 9-key is AGONIZING. Typing on my Centro is about as fast as two-finger typing on a real keyboard, so it's at least tolerable.

Therefore, I'm impressed at the speed of some people with their mad T9 skilz. As with anything skill-based, why not have a competition? Doesn't make me sad at all.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
ok what kinda nerd get's in a keyboarding competition (I pity them for they must get harassed alot)... that point being said how can you have a legitimate texting competition?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
This isn't so bad.  What makes me sad is what I saw at a restaurant a couple months back; A couple comes in with an infant and sits at the booth across from us.  They didn't talk to each other the entire meal, but instead were on their phones texting.  I was almost surprised the infant didn't have a phone.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Ever seen "The Guild"?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »
OMGSH, I totally want to join that competition.  Although texting on the iPhone without looking is harder that you would think, there aren't any raised buttons to feel how far over you are, so it has to all be on instinct.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
OMGSH, I totally want to join that competition.  Although texting on the iPhone without looking is harder that you would think, there aren't any raised buttons to feel how far over you are, so it has to all be on instinct.

yeah, i could see how having a perfectly smooth screen could hamper blind-typing :P

As a side note: This is my number 1 reason of why i, personally, would never get an iphone. I hate on-screen keyboards with a passion, i need a real, hardware keyboard.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 04:36:14 PM »
I love the phone, except when I try to do something else at the same time as I text.  I AM getting better at it though. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
I love the phone, except when I try to do something else at the same time as I text.  I AM getting better at it though. ha ha.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's an impressive piece of hardware, no doubt. Just not for me. Good thing you enjoy it, though. There's something to be said about enjoying a certain phone, as opposed to the hardcore fanboys that give it a bad image (at least, to non iPhone/fanboy people) :P

I actually picked up the Palm pre, recently, and I'm loving it, it has alot of stuff similar to the iPhone but has a physical keyboard, which is perfect for me.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
Doesn't that one also have picture messaging?  One of the recent iPhone betas had it, but then when they released the official 3.0 software it didn't have it. :(  That still makes me mad.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
Doesn't that one also have picture messaging?  One of the recent iPhone betas had it, but then when they released the official 3.0 software it didn't have it. :(  That still makes me mad.

yup. Has MMS, it can also upload directly to facebook, photobucket, email, and possibly more type of accounts i dont have or know of.

Really, it's only drawback IMO, is the lack of applications to get currently, however, there's a work around for that. You can get an application that's a Palm OS emulator, so it works with all the old palm software you can find anywhere and everywhere

I heard you guys got video capture, though, in that upgrade, didn't you?

Pre doesn't have it yet.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard